Anyone here well into Progressive Rock...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jul 30, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I have to say that I am... :)

Apart from the brass and ambient génres, I have always loved Progressive Rock music. I grew up in my formative and musically impressionable years with Yes, Genesis, Floyd, Marillion et al, and always have a soft spot for this orchestral rock type of music. Some may have seen my interview with Steve Hackett last year, and I have another one lined up with none other than Rick Wakeman soon too!!! Wow eh!!

Anyway, I listen a lot to internet radio and have recently only been listeing to Radio Ambient or DI Fm Ambient/Chillout channels but thought I should have a look to see what other stations were on iTunes. I discovered Auralmoon a few days ago and quite honestly it is a superb site and resource for all things progressive rock - it has rekindled my deep love of progressive rock music. Here's the www site if anyone fancies a look - www.auralmoon.com

As well as the classic tracks I am very familiar with, I have listened to many pieces from groups and bands I had previously not heard of - and I must say I am amazed at the deep musical expression and orchestration heard within this music.

One recently formed Prog Rock group I had not heard of is called Frost, they have a free track available here - have a listen, it is awesome. Some superb sounds, guitar and unconventional time siggys can be heard throughout the piece (esp at 2:40 through 3:50).

So - anyone else as sad as I obviously am then...?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Progressive Rock
    génres
    music
    Some
    spot
  3. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Wow - that Frost track is amazing. :clap:

Excellent guitarist :tup Reminds me a lot of Steve Hillage.

4. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Depends on what you term as prog rock really John. I've been a huge Rush fan for years. I think I've either got or got access to pretty much everything available that was released in the UK. Neil Peart is the best drummer I have ever heard. You can keep your cozy powell et al. I've not heard better yet. Can't say I get too much chance to listen to internet radio. my internet activity is limited to emails, the mouthpiece and playing the odd game or two on Yahoo games. For those of you who are into rock and have Sky, planet rock radio is pretty good. Incidentally, my sisters boyfriend was one of the backing singers for Marilion on one of their european tours (I didn't think much of his voice to be honest).

Puss

5. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Always found it difficult to actually define "prog" rock - most would consider Hawkwind a classic prog rock band but they were (listening again years later) quite a hard metal band (Something to do with Lemmy on bass I suspect!! - Motorhead theres an entirely different subject). there are some really good little known prog rock bands - Greenslade were always a favourite, Caravan - if you want a good listen - try the "the land of the grey and pink", Van der Graaf Generator, Gong, all brilliant

And then theres always the best - Barclay James Harvest, but i'd say that as an Oldham lad wouldnt I. (As a matter of purely passing interest the son of John Lees, the lead guitar of said group plays principal cornet for Pennine Brass)

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Have to admit to being a Marillion fan, and still buy their music now. They have built a massive web following and distribute and operate mostly web based thesedays!

7. TheMusicMan

Yeah, me too Andy, I like Marillion too - particularly like the album Misplaced Childhood... "and the maaaan from the magazine wants another shot... of you all curled up, cos you look like an actor in a movie show... and the man in the mirror had sad eyes!!!"

Then there's the excellent 7/8 movement and guitar solo from "Heart of Lothian..."

Great stuff eh!

8. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

Do Sigur Ros count as prog rock? I was introduced to their music by a non-bandsman who thought I'd be interested by the brass band on one track (sounds like the band in The Wicker Man!) and then I listened to the rest of the CD (Takk). Pretty good stuff :clap:

9. TheMusicMan

I'd say they sure do Mrs Fruity. I watched a video of theirs just this morning on Classic FM TV (well, actually my 15yr old son Lloyd was watching it and called me to watch it too knowing I'd like it). I actually forget the title of the track but it began with something like Hoppipolla... something or other...

Their track 'Glosoli' is wonderful. A beautifully orchestrated epic with a superb beat running through the entire piece. One of the nicest and sweetest pieces I have heard in a long time in my opinion. Everyone should seek them out...

10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Off-topic: Derek Dick was in the same Cub scouts pack as me, and was the year below me at secondary school. I recall a member of staff saying that singing like Peter Gabriel might earn him some money, but wouldn't get him his O-grade music... ;)

Anyway, I personally like(d) Hawkwind, Rush, early Supertramp, Yes, Genesis, Greenslade, Gentle Giant, Wakeman's solo stuff, Jethro Tull....

'Scuse me, I'm just off to clear the clutter from atop the turntable and then hunt out some vinyl :D

11. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

What an excellent thread, Rick Wakeman Is Far Cooler Than A Cucumber... In A Fridge!!

I Also Like The Earlier Stuff Genesis Did, I Dont Mind The Cheesy 80's Stuff, But I Thought The Band As A Whole Were Far Better When He Was On Kit.

Jethro Tull Can Do No Wrong!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Progressive Rock
    génres
    music
    Some
    spot
  13. TheMusicMan

OK, you're bound to have a lot on vinyl, but have a scout on the net for some free progressive rock music, there's a load of it about and much of it is superb. Have a listen to that prog rock radio station I mentioned in the top post here, brilliant playlists.

I have also purchased two new albums this weekend after listening to some stuff I either hadn't heard at all or had heard only the once on Auralmoon.com

Must say - Takk by Sigur Ros is totally awesome.

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I once did a gig surrounded by keyboards and in our infinite wisdom the band decided that I should wear the black cape....and no-one got the 'joke'...at all....

They even thought I was supposed to be Dracula or something...mind it was the late 80s....:dunno

Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  15. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

16. TheMusicMan

... and of course the Sigur Ros track I mentioned I saw earlier on Classic FM TV - Hoppipolla - may be well known by people who watched the recent BBC David Attenborough natural history series as I think it was the title track of the show.

17. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Saw Rick Wakeman a few years ago in the pavilion on Cromer pier. He was awesome. Anyone heard his childrens concerto? fantastic. :clap: :clap:

18. TheMusicMan

Not heard that one Kev, but have seen him appear locally here in a small theatre where he did his famous one man show. He was awesome on a bank of nearly a dozen keyboards. Between pieces he came to the front of the stage and spoke to the audience and after he finished his show he said he'd be in the bar after a shower... and bless him... he sure was.

Super chap if you ask me and I can't wait to interview him.

19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Have you got him lined up then, John?

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

21. TheMusicMan

Yup... :tup

Last time I spoke to his manager he was off to Australia. Just haven't scheduled when yet that's all. It will happen.

22. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Odd, but being a huge fan of Yes many years ago Rick Wakeman's solo albums didn't quite make it with me ... (mind you, I was also into Gong and Frank Zappa in a big way and after seeing John McLaughlin in concert in 1977 I started to move towards session artists).