Anyone here an expert in KVM switches and control?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jan 5, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

2. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Yes you can leave the monitors plugged into their own PC, you don't have to use just one monitor for both. The unit should come supplied with all the necessary cables to get you going.

Good Luck:tongue:

3. TheMusicMan

Excellent, thanks Mark. And I assume this will work with #1 being a desktop PC and #2 a laptop...?

4. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

It should do yes, all it is is an extension lead with one input and several outputs for mice etc... Although they have improved since I last used one, that model does sound too. Groovy!:biggrin:

5. TheMusicMan

Cheers Mark.

PS: your www site is being marked as currently inactive and I get to your ISP page...!!

6. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

That was our old site, we now have a shiny new one (under construction) hosted by TMP I believe. Our MD Dave Nichols (valvecap) is working on it.

7. TheMusicMan

You certainly do sir - hence wondering what was happening with that older domain...:)

Here's the new one that we host for you - www.fsebb.org

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'm looking at a 2 switch one as I type this reply. We ue them at work to switch between our corporate wan conected laptops and our development machines.
    They have some really useful features such as you can leave your USB pen drive plugged in so when you switch from one computer to another its always accessible - great for file transfer between unconnected machines.
    However several of us in the office find there is a really irritating problem. If you switch off or unplug a device (as we often do because we take our laptops from their docking station and take them home), then when you plug it back in again the usb keyboard or sometimes the usb mouse becomes inactive. Whats worse if you switch to the other device that was working ok,they no longer have keyboard/mouse connection either.
    To get the keyboard and mouse working again necesitates a complete power down of all the devices and then a full power up of one device at a time with the switch set selected on that device through its full boot up sequence.
    If you leave your kit powerd up all the time then they are absolutely brilliant and work flawlessly. If you are plugging things in and out all the time then I personally wouldn't buy one.

9. TheMusicMan

Well, when I am working at my home office/studio set up I usually have both the laptop and the desk PC powered on from the moment I start working. So even if I am working away, and hence have my laptop with me, I would have powered down regardless. So all in all it looks as though I will be getting one of these switches sometime soon.

Which one are you looking at BigHorn?

10. BrianT

BrianT Member

You don't have to use a physical switch - have you considered using Windows Remote Desktop?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    device
    control
    switching
    Anyone
    monitors.
  12. TheMusicMan

Not sure that this would be fast enough to be honest.

13. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'm using the OmniView Soho series 2-Port KVM switch #F1DS102U
    Also forgot to mention theres full control from the keyboard too so you don't have to press the buttons on the unit if you don't want to. You can switch between machines by a quick double tap of the control key followed by number 1,2 etc for the computer you want to switch to.

14. TheMusicMan

That sounds great, just what I need. Did you source that in the UK? Any chance of a link please.

15. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I think our firm bought them from the pc world business supply arm. You will get them much cheaper than we did though at www.dabs.com or www.ebuyer.com.

16. TheMusicMan

Looking on ebuyer but can't seem to locate that model.

17. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

try searching on quick codes 31536 and 31535

18. TheMusicMan

19. TheMusicMan

Hi Brian

Very sorry - through my ignorance I misinterpreted your post as Remote Assistance - I hadn't seen or tried Remote Desktop before.

I now have this fully set up on my system and it works a treat. Thanks for the heads up on it.