Anyone here a Chess Player?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DocFox, Jan 19, 2017.

1. DocFox

DocFox Retired

I am a pretty avid chess player. I play on Chess.com where you can play for free (if you do not mind the advertisements). I am not that good, but my ranking has been growing some in the last few months.

There are no chess clubs in my area. So Chess.com is my only way to play. Is anyone else a brass player and a chess player?

2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Yes I play, taught by my father as far back as I an remember, just been given a new chess set for my birthday by the current Lady wife, I remeber being fascinated by the great games in the 70's featuring Fisher and Kasparov etc!

3. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Ah yes, the unstable genius of Bobby Fischer. Where do you play and against whom? I can't find anywhere to play except Chess.com. I have a nice chess set that I have never used.

As a funny side note -- I was born in Las Vegas.

4. _si

_si Member

I am , I've been a member of chess.com since it began. I used to play for my county too!

5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Take this the right way please,m but, I cant see you being anything else other than a bloody bad loser !

6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

oops, I forgot the smiley face

:):)

7. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Oh Ian, that is far from me as you can get. Look up my record on Chess.com I have received and given so many Good Will trophies that people like to play me. But I will give you one thing, it was funny.

8. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Drug Enhancements for Chess Players?

"In 2008, professional chess grandmaster Vassily Ivanchuk lost a game, then was immediately asked to provide a urine sample for a drug test. Ivanchuk flipped out — he kicked a concrete pillar and pounded a cafeteria countertop — insulted that he would be asked to do something so demeaning after his loss. His fans and other players rallied to support him, the argument being that doping couldn’t help a chess player. Turns out those dopes were wrong.

According to a new study in the journal European Neuropsychopharmacology, two prescription drugs can help chess players compete: modafinil and methylphenidate. The former is sold as Alertec, Modavigil, and Provigil, and the other is best known as Ritalin. Participants in the study were dosed with these drugs, and then their chess playing abilities were observed. While the drugs resulted in test subjects playing more slowly, they also increased their performance. Using modafinil improved player’s results by 15 percent, while methylphenidate improved results by 13 percent.

The fact that these drugs slowed down gameplay is the crux of why they help player performance.
    "

Cheating in chess -- cheaters will find a way.

9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Was it Fisher who was accused of receiving coded messages according to the flavour of yoghurt he ate whilst playing?

10. Neelraja

Neelraja New Member

Chess my fav like to play with old peoples.

11. Neelraja

Neelraja New Member

Really.
    examcha

12. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

I'm also on chess.com although I haven't had time to play on there for a couple of years. This post has re-kindled my interest.

13. DocFox

DocFox Retired

Well at chess.com, you can play live games, games that you can wait between 1 to 14 days per move. My Chess.com Elo is only about 1000. But if someone would like to challenge me I go by the name "JollyPlayer".

14. DocFox

DocFox Retired

I never heard that, but I doubt Bobby Fischer ever needed any help in his chess play. He needed some mental help most likely after becoming the world champion.