Anyone having problems finding a band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euphfanhan, Dec 12, 2004.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

As my band has been going downhill recently, comitted members were encouraged to look for another band. Even though most of the members would rather rebuild the old band it seemed like a much easier option at the time. However, after about 4 months of searching, it didn't seem so easy, due to the fact that the nearest bands with vacancies are in or around Preston or Blackpool. Whilst this wouldn't have been a problem for the conductor, 80% of the players are under 18, and don't have their own transport. Relying on parents is not generally a good idea due to work commitments etc, and then there are the members who are in the band due to dedication, rather than talent, who may not be accepted into a band that isn't in the youth section.
    My parents suggested I wait until I can drive (which due to a new law will be going upto the age of 18 for people born in 1989 and after, which includes me by a few months) which will be in 3 years. I can't go 3 years without being in a band! The alternatives being that I get a scooter next year, which isn't the most practical of solutions due to the fact there is nowhere to put a euphonium.
    Just wondering...has anyone had any similar experiences and what did you do about it?
  2. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

It depends if you are interested in contesting or not, Morecambe Brass Ensemble are always happy to receive new players. (although I know there's a bit of history between the two banding families). What about bands further north? Pilling and Poulton-le-Fylde are looking for players.
  3. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Travelling for band is a pain, especially for the non-drivers.
    When I started in a junior band, my Mum had her arm twisted into learning to play tuba, so generally, we were both needed at rehearsals and concerts at the same time! Obviously, it wouldn't work for every case.
    It wouldn't surprise me however if there is a tMPer living near you who would be happy to give you a lift to their band if they require a Euph player.
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your plight Hannah, really hope you find a band you enjoy playing in, I couldn't go a week without band never mind 3 years!!!!

Unfortunately we're a little too far for you to travel to too!

Good luck.
  5. Trog's

Trog's Member

I live in lancaster and travel to freckleton. But I'm lucky and I can drive.

I used to play with pilling and I know the other local bands well. Most have people travelling from lancaster. (longridge have a few, Freck has myself, Pilling had a couple, and poulton has some)

I suggest you find the band which suits you, or you would like to play in, contact them and explain your problem, they might be able to help you, or at least give you the number of some who plays for them who lives local to yoursrelf.

If you really stuck, pm me as I know a contact at most local bands.
  6. sywity

sywity New Member

Hi Hannah,

My name is Simon and Im the Solo Horn player for Pilling Jubilee Band, I was wondering if you managed to find a band in the area yet?

We have a few players that are from the lancaster area and we travel down to band together and have room for players. If you are still interested in joining a local band then please let me know.....

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn
    Pilling Jubilee Silver Band:clap:
  7. Waterboy

Waterboy New Member

we dont currently have any vancancies at flixton but your welcome to come for a blow and join in the good friendly atmosphere.

we rehearse near the trafford centre, therefore parents could go for a shop or their is a lovely pub opposite the band with whom the band have a good relationship with "The Bird In The Hand".

it maybe too far for you but we are a growing success. havent been out of the prizes in 7 contests now.

give me a bell

matt fearn
    flixton band
  8. emilyhallett26

emilyhallett26 New Member

Hi Hannah,

My name emily from Pilling Jubilee Silver Band....I see Simon has put a message for you but just to confirm that we do arrange lifts from the Lancaster area if you want to come down for a blow....We are a stable 2nd section (locally), 3rd Section (national) contesting band, that has a busy contesting shedule this year (areas, Whitehaven, Tameside). Maybe if there are a few of you wanting to come for a blow you could arrange to lift share and then its not down to the same person driving you every week?!?!
    We have a full contest and concert diary throughout the year and are always on the look out for new members.
    We also have a really good social side to band as well so if you fancy coming either e mail me or simon and we'll sort something out for you!:p
    Emily Hallett
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

MEEEEEEEE!(am i dedicated?)Anyway erm yeh....
  10. sywity

sywity New Member

Hi there.......

That would be great if you could come me and Emily said we can arrange lifts etc...

What instrument do you play?

My email address is

You can also find our band website @ for more info about our band....

I look foward to hearing from you.

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn
    Pilling Jubilee Silver Band

11. Ben Croston

Ben Croston New Member

Pilling Band Rocks!!!!!!

I think Pilling would be your best bet. I know a horn player that travels 8 miles to band on a little scooter!
  12. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Yes but Hanna plays euph which is bigger than a horn.
  13. sywity

sywity New Member

I am quite aware that a Euph is slightly bigger than a tenor horn.....:confused:

We have got a postion going in the Euph department at Pilling (the website needs updating) after the areas (13th March), but people are very welcome to come down before that for a blow.....

We could also do with a couple more back row cornets and trom players.....

I think my collegue at band (Ben) was hinting at the fact that we have players that come from all over the lancaster/Wyre areas......:clap:

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn
  14. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Oh right fair enuff an euphs way bigger than horn!AN horns are plenty big enuff for me.
  15. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Ooops, I completely forgot about this thread! I still haven't found a band yet, so thanks, I'll check out the Pilling Band website. Word of warning though, I'm not brilliant, grade 6/7 ish.

If not I'm sure I can sabotage my birth certificate and get a driving license asap. ;)
  16. sywity

sywity New Member

Word of warning website is not that up to date.....but see what that think....

We are a 2nd section (locally) 3rd section (national) think you should be fine.....

Let me know what you email is

We do arrange lifts etc cause i myself live in the Lancaster area and cant drive:(

Let me know......

17. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

:shock: :p
  18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Is Brian Harper still the MD for Pilling?
  19. Ben Croston

Ben Croston New Member

Yes, Brian is still our MD. I'll have to update our website so the players list is more accurate.
  20. sywity

sywity New Member

Hi Hanna

As Ben said Brian Harper is still the MD for Pilling:clap:

Just wondered what you thought bout the website?

With the problem of 'lifts' to band that will not be a problem and I also checked with Brian at rehersal last night and he said to tell you to come down and see what you think? We are working on the 3rd section area test piece Tam O Shanters Ride (v good piece) at the moment and you will be made very welcome...

Let me know

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn