Anyone handy with a lathe?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Mann, Feb 13, 2008.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

I've just bought myself a sop - Besson New Standard, don't know how old, probably 20 -30 years.
    Anyway, I'm really pleased with it, the valves are great, upper range more secure - but to make it perfect I'd like to have some metal scooped out of the leadpipe so my DW sop m/piece will fit snugly. Can anybody recommend someone who could do this, or have a compatible leadpipe for sale? I'm also after some plastic valve guides for when mine wear out, and a lyre screw.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

we have an girl in our a band who is an engineer with Norbar (they mke toeque wrenches) i'm sure she could help - pm me

3. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Is the leadpipe removable as it is on most sops, (I have seen one that was solid like a Bflat cornet). If it can be removed then it would be a matter of ten minutes for any home craftsman or model engineer. Do you know of any one in your area who builds live steam model engines? they would have the lathe, and hopefully the ability to do it. Or even a taper reamer, that could have the job done by hand.

4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Is a toeque wrench the same as a Torque wrench? if so i Calibrate Norbar stuff at work. Id imagine she would be more into CNC stuf than hand lathe I can't remember seeing many hand Lathes when i toured their factory.

5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

This sounds to me like a non-starter. How can you start with a pipe with walls a couple of mm thick and expect to turn it on a lathe to accept a bigger diameter mouthpiece. The walls of the lead pipe are going to be paper thin by the time you've finished reaming the inside and it won't be structurally sound.
    If the mouthpiece is a very near fit (say only 0.25 mm material to be removed) then I'd be tempted to do it by hand by wrapping some wet & dry around the mouthpiece and using it as a reamer or get some grinding paste between the two.
    If more has to go than that then give up and buy a mouthpiece that fits.

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

I'm a chemist, not an engineer, but I think only a small amount needs to be removed, and it's a question of taper angle rather than diameter. Might try the grinding paste. I'm happy with the mouthpiece and as a last resort would rather change the leadpipe.

Thanks for the advice so far..

7. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

I've done a mouthpiece with a fine grain linishing belt and used a micrometre to check it, it worked really well.

8. David Mann

David Mann Member

Job now done and works fine, I ended up using a round tapered file. Still looking for a lyre screw if anyone has a spare.