Anyone got the music for Hootenanny?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rodeband, Sep 10, 2008.

1. rodeband

rodeband New Member

I know, I know. It's a cheesy piece, but we have blown the dust off it and would like to play it at a forthcoming concert.

Just one problem - we are missing the percussion part(s)

Edit (Keppler): I know it's a cheesy piece and everything, but we can't infringe on copyright issues on tMP - Thanks for your understanding.
    Many thanks

Mike McCann
    Rode Hall Silver Band
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
  2. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Can you tell us where and when..... so we can make sure we avoid coming ;)
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Unforunately yes, we do have it. Get them to busk. It really wont matter; in fact it might improve it.
  4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I'mfraqid to admit it, so do we!! Arrrrggghhh!!!!!!!!!
  5. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

My suggestion would be - rather than sourcing a percussion part, just throw away all the other band parts. Problem solved.
  6. bbg

bbg Member

Percussionists? Hootenanny? Music????!!

Surely ALL drummers busk good old "Hoot' n' Oot" (so called because it's our inevitable last piece / encore).....come to think of it, don't whole bands???!
  7. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

That's what I call a creative response to the problem - nice
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Does ANYONE actually look at the music to Hootenanny?

The only time I get really confused is when changing part - I have played the windband version forever, the brass band one frequently and have even come across a trumpet ensemble version (10 trumpets only). It is very confusing when you suddenly have to play the wrong tunes.

Doesn't improve the piece though
  9. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Instant Concert is marginally worse in my book... ( and why did they take out the jazzy bit in the BB arrangement of Sleigh Ride?... oh yeh BB's swing like bricks )...
  10. So you know what the Championship Area piece is!!
  11. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Cheezy it may be.. but why do most bands (I've heard play it...) turn this piece into a blast fest? I think this says more about the musicians than the music.....
  12. RussQ

RussQ Member

As a conductor once remarked, 'just hit the bladdy thing!'
  13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Audiences love it when a brass band play this kind of music. Hmmm, blast fest, of sorts but we always adhere to the dynamics!! One of the most cheesiest of all cheesies!!!!
  14. hi mike got percussion parts if you still want them .

Admin EDIT: Copyright infringement on tMP is not permitted, sorry.
  15. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

You could always avoid the copyright infringement by just giving your entire Hootenanny score away. That way, Mike gets his percussion part, and you lose the piece out of your library. Everyone's a winner!!!!!
  16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Hang on, what about the poor sods that have to listen to Mikes bashings surrounded by hoote****tty!
  17. davidsait

davidsait Member

When my band tried to obtain a copy of Hootenanny for Brass Band about 5 years ago, we found that it wasn't in print. We had to get permission from the publishers (in the USA, I think), to photocopy it from another band. For some reason, however, the Wind Band version *was* still in print.
  18. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If the publisher was in the US, then it makes perfect sense that the wind band version would still be in print. Remember, just about every secondary school and university over here has a wind band, but there are only a few British-style brass bands.

I wonder if the percussion parts for the wind band version are the same as the ones for the brass band version?
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  19. animal.22

animal.22 Member

You bunch of miserable sods, it might not be "quality" music but it's a hell of a blast after a few pints at the right type of gig :biggrin:
  20. Mad BLC

Mad BLC New Member

And the more senior members of the audience just seem to love it. Might be that they dont have to turn their hearing aids up to make out the 'tune'. It was one of the first peices I played in 'senior' band when I was eleven, and my dad still loves it many many years later. Followed closely by Floral Dance!!!!!