Anyone got ideas for a one armed trombone player?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Martin Cordy, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

Just wondering if anyone out there has heard of a device that will enable me to play trombone while getting over a shoulder op. Basically my left arm will be out of action so supporting the instrument is the problem.

There are a couple of devices on the web, but all seem to involve strapping something around the left shoulder so clearly they wont work!

Ideas (sensible and otherwise!) are gratefully received!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    left shoulder
    ideas
    left arm
    action
    armed trombone player
  3. Bones

Bones Member

Hi,

Speak to Mick Rath. He has done some harnesses and supports for players with dystonia which should help.

Cheers

RIch

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  4. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I think what you need is probably an ergobone. http://www.ergobone.com

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

No straps on the left shoulder, but what about having the trombone rest on top of the shoulder? Would you be able to do that?

6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I can do an "otherwise" suggestion - get someone to hold it for you while you play!!! :oops:

OK, I'm going now.....

7. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

GGGGGGRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!!!

:rolleyes:

8. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

Not sure to be honest - as long as it didnt take all the weight I guess that there wouldnt be too much of an issue!!! Could always strap it up I guess!!!:D

9. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Not easily because you use the left arm to keep the mouthpiece in contact with the lips.
    I think that some sort of strapping would be the best bet, although I'm not aware of any commercial solutions.

10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I've seen someone once play the trom with their foot. Strap your foot to the end of the slide

11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

That'll be the trombone player for the Bavarian Stompers with the inappropriate (for tMP) stage name. ;)

Funny, when I first read this thread he immediately came to mind - though I guess it takes more than a little practice.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    left shoulder
    ideas
    left arm
    action
    armed trombone player
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You could always get someone to put a couple of bands in appropriate places, add some valves and join the baritone section for a while :oops:

14. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

There was no need to start being offensive;)

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Thanks Daniel, I was trying to remember the name of it! I know a few people in the business who use one and they swear by it. Considering one myself, too!

16. Martin Cordy

Martin Cordy Member

Any idea how much of the weight they take off of the shoulder, and whether it is necessary to steady the trombone with the left arm at all?

17. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

Yamaha used to provide help for players with a disability. Its worth contacting them to see if they still provide this service.

18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I've been on their website today and there are some video clips on there showing all the different positions that it supports. I think you can even play without the left arm at all. I've been considering one for some time, so I took the plunge and bought one today :eek: I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

I've got an even better idea - take up conducting!

19. Tug trombone

Tug trombone New Member

There's always the Household Cavalry's answer - valve trombone!

Mick Rath built me a 'special' coz of my disability, and works great - although I do have some use of my left arm/shoulder. He's the guy to talk to, as mentioned earlier.

20. Lesley Richmond

Lesley Richmond New Member

Contact Johnstone Silver Band

David McCluskie from Johnstone Silver Band lost his left arm in a coach accident. I saw him play after the accident. I don't think he plays any more but it would be worthwhile contacting the band http://www.johnstonesilver.co.uk
    to see if anyone knows what device he used.

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There is a difference between Dave and Martin. As you mentioned, Dave lost his arm on the school trip. A special harness was made to help him play. I don't know what he's doing these days!

22. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

I've never used one Martin, but I do know that there are folks over on the OTJ/TTF who swear by them. They tend to look odd, but do the job. No doubt Duncan Bass Trumpet will comment when he has tried his out. You might ask around or seach old threads on TTF (http://www.tromboneforum.org/) in the accessories section.

Daniel