Anyone got 29 hours to spare for the opera??!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by The Cornet King, Nov 11, 2004.

1. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Taken from yesterday's 'Times' Newspaper...

Afetr nearly 30 years composing just 1 opera, the avant Garde composer Karlheinz Stockhausen, has completed his monumental Licht (light) cycle.
    He started in 1977. One part was given at Covent Garden in the 1990's to a somewhat confused and bemused audience. The entire work all 29 hours of it :shock: is to be staged at Dresden in 2008. There will be no interval!!!!! :shock:

a) It sounds like nobody is gonna understand the thing!
    b) 29 hours long :shock: Wow! Interesting to see how many go to see that.
    c) No interval! Better take a cushion i suppose.

Thats one hell of an opera! :p
  2. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmmm..that sounds like it'll make Wagner's Ring look like Tom and Jerry!

Could be a good "community punishment" for minor traffic offences, forget the "how not to speed" course, make them watch that, they'll never do it again!
    29 hours of people shouting and making random noises........bit like the omnibus of Eastenders!
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I'm there! 29 hours... I could do that in my sleep... and I probably will...
  4. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

surely they should have fifteen minute breaks for people just to take a few poer naps. How much they gonna charge for 29 hours and will it be performed more then once??
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

15 minute breaks are for the weak!
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

...and remove all sharp and poisenous objects from within his reach just in case he gets a bad review!!
  7. six pints

six pints Active Member

thats one loooooooooooong opera- will they be serving hotdogs and icecreams?
  8. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Hey, why not turn it into a contest and have 25 Opera companies perform it one after the other. Put a couple of guys in a box for the month to come up with a winner - you never know it could catch on !
  9. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Cor, i feel for the trumpet players' lips!
  10. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

If I'm not mistaken, there's an opera called 'The Life and Times of Joseph Stalin' which I believe is 35 hours long without a break, though I've never heard of any complete performances so far...
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

35 hours for his entire life and times?

one long opera... one short life...
  12. rightnowmusic

rightnowmusic Member

Glad I'm not playing Timps or Triangle for this one !...... 4875 2 3 4, 4876 2 3 4, 4877 2 3 4 etc etc etc.... Boring !
  13. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Think it'd be a "Get back from the bar and take a cue from the bassoons" jobby...