Anyone going to Weston on sunday?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tewkeshorn, May 10, 2004.

1. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

Just as topic says, is anyone going to the Weston-super-mare Own choice contest this sunday?

Not playing myself, but going along to support the bands by consuimg ale. So if you're there grab me at the bar!
  2. twm_trombone

twm_trombone Member

I'll be there listening to some bands, drinking some beer, eating chips and drinking some more beer.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey twm

Sorry I couldn't help you guys out at last weekends competition... glad to read that you performed very well though.

My rgds to Alan & the team..:)
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Tewkeshorn, based on the number of responses from competing members so far, your band is sure to win this weekend!!

Seriously though, I noticed there are four small contests this weekend,
    Cumbria BBA 19th Brass Band Contest, SCABA Entertainment Contest, Standish Slow Melody Contest AND the Weston-super-Mare Own Choice Contest. Being naive at some of the UK contests, what is the difference between these, and which (this weekend) is the best to attend as a spectator?

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Personally I'd go to the Weston-super-mare or the SCABA Entertainment Contest ;-)

Sadly though, I can't attend either.
  6. TheMusicMan

Yup - I'm sure they are all good, but the only one of these I have been to is the WSM content. This is held in a fantastic venue and is usually very well supported with between 5 and 10 bands in each section, sometimes more in the 2nd and 3rd sections.

It is one of the most well managed contests I have both played and conducted at. The contest controller (forget his name) does a fabulous job in making sure everything runs very smoothly.

PS: there's also a good bar, and plenty of pubs nearby...;)
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea I have to add and agree to what John has said here about WSM...
    I played their a few years back and it must be the best venue I've ever been to with respect of organisation etc... Ran very smootly and they have a good team.
    Pub right next to the place as well! Finish playing, stuff on coach, walk to pub in a matter of minutes... Luxery!

8. TheMusicMan

... and I also believe that Cudos needs to go to the Weston Mare (is it Silver) Band for their help and support in running everything on the day. I believe everyone from the band mucks in sometime throughout the day. Great job folks, keep it ut... :tup
  9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Whitehaven is a great little contest and although there are not thousands of entries, some bands choose to play in more than one section which is fab for a challenge. Whitehaven is in a lovely setting too and they organise everything including rehearsal rooms for you so the hard work is already done - why not try it next year :?:
  10. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

or you could always come and see what its like for yourself this weekend of support our band :wink:
  11. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

My band are playing in the 4th Section at Weston, we are playing (edit: Test Piece deleted).

Please remember it is not tMP policy to reveal Own Choice pieces in a contest with closed adjudication - which I presume this is, PB, Mod
  12. MAW

MAW Member

anyone going to Weston on Sunday.

I know of 2 who are going.
    Newport Borough in the 4th section. who I play for and Severn Tunnel in either 3rd or 4th section.
    Severn Tunnel won the 3rd Section today in Ebbw Vale or so I heard on the grape vine.
    see you in Weston.

back row cornet.