Anyone going to the Open

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stopher, Aug 24, 2003.

1. stopher

stopher Member

Who's going?

If you are, please make sure that I don't get too drunk and manage to get the train home - :guiness

I ended up in Liverpool one year at midnight and was supposed to be in work the next morning at 7am. I had fun explaining that one!

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

sadly not going :-( :cry:
    wish I was...
  3. davidsait

davidsait Member

I'll be there. And if you are, make sure that I don't get too drunk and start accidently insulting principal cornet players of performing bands in the bar afterwards..... like last year.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'll be there with my dad and my son, heading for the front of queue to collect my copy of Peter Roberts' book!

Anyone getting there early, there should be some good pre-contest music in the foyer from Birmingham Citadel Band.

I'm also there for the concert on the Sunday, when Hampshire County Youth Brass Band are playing beforehand.

Hope to see some of you there :!:
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I'll be there to savour the stella activity.

IYOUNG Member

I'll be there actually listening to some of the bands perform. Thought that was what its all about rather than propping up the bar perhaps i'm wrong ?

7. mutsuj

mutsuj Member

I do agree with your sentiments, however I do believe you can combine the two ( savour the sounds and the stella.) it does depend on the draw as to how successful you can be at both.

No disrespect to any band taken part in the Open but there are bands that you would choose to have a beer and a chin wag about what's been already rather than listen to. IMHO / or fact when you actually see what happens to the size of the audience when the so called lesser bands are due on stage.

As a competitor last year, after an early draw I had a few pints, bought a ticket and listened to a good few bands, went out after the results ( drowning sorrows / we was robbed / it was a early draw top 3 again but didn't win so might as well come last etc...etc... and sobered up in time to do the concert on Sunday...

..Of course you can do both that's what its all about isn't it.
  8. stopher

stopher Member

You can do both

I think you can do both.

But the thing finished at six so if I listened to every band, I have nothing to do until my train at 9 and I don;t fancy going to the concert as well if there is one so why not.

Doubt I'll listen to more than a few anyway - I usually get dragged off for a beer or 2 with friends I haven't seen in ages

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'll be there - there's 18 of us coming from Deiniolen. Looking forward to a great day - and hoping to listen to a few bands as well ;)
  10. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Sad when you have to explain jokes. By stella activity I was referring to my interest in both test piece and bar.

11. stopher

stopher Member

How are you getting there?

You travelling by train on the day Dyl?

Just hoping you can make sure I get the last one back after my previuos antics

12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Re: How are you getting there?

Mini-bus, Chris!
  13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

we'll be there. blah-de-blah.. play .. blah.. get hammered.. blah blah.. the usual.. blah
  14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

You forgot the bit about coming 15th Aidan :wink:
  15. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Or is that included in "the usual"? :roll:
  16. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

bloody ell quick reply chris :)
    heh no, we were unlucky 13th last year off draw 1, only 2 below you ;)
    but we also have a band this year :D
  17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Quite correct Aidan, I mearly picked a random low placing. Are you saying you didn't have a band last year? :?
  18. twigglet

twigglet Member

oooo handbags boys! :wink:

Don't suppose any room on the Deiniolen mini bus Dyl for a little one?!
  19. Active Member

The World of Brass trade stand will be there, of course.

Martin Winter will be at the stand between 1pm and 3pm siging copies of his solo CD Winter's Tale.

We'll also have new releases from Black Dyke, Buy as you View Cory, Hendon Citadel and the Highlights of 2003 European Championships on DVD!

Bring your wallets, purses and credit cards!
  20. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Definately going, for the weekend, other half's parents live quite close, so free accomodation as well. means more can be spent on beer....

Anybody planning a meet up ????