Anyone going to see Jools Holland on Friday?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ruthless, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I've treated the Hubbie to tickets to see Jools Holland on Friday at Chatsworth. I just hope the weather is going to be good as it is open air!!

Anyone else going?

Has anyone seen him before and can give me an idea of what to expect. What sort of music does he play? Does he do any of his Squeeze? stuff? (Not that I know any of that off hand!!:oops: )

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tickets
    anyone
    any
    weather
    Jools Holland
  3. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Seen his band a couple of times in recent years - at the last one, he had 2 of the former Squeeze guys with him and did "cool for cats".
    It'll be a good fun night out - lots of his great boogie woogie piano style, often has a start guest (Marc Almond last time I saw him) plus Sam Brown.

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

My dad's been a couple of times... he's got all his CDs and knows all the words, and unfortunately I do too because his continual singing has got to me!

He always comes back raving about how good it is! :) Should be great!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

http://www.hallamfmarena.co.uk/news.asp?ID=297

6. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Cornishwomble and I went to them in Portsmouth, and they were excellenet
    you both will have such a good time. As soon as the band come on stage they do not stop playing music for one second. Even at the end they came back on and did an encore for another 30 mins
    excellent night you'll both have such a brilliant time :)

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Been to see him twice now and he / they were superb both times. Just don't expect an evening of quiet reflective music as the pace is relentless thoughout.

They usually have a camera looking at the keyboard on his piano, and its well worth looking out for that, just in case you were in any doubt about his ability as a pianist...;)

You should have a great night.

8. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I've been to see him Ruth and he was excellent, take a huge picnic loads of food and wine and it'll be great.

When we went my mum and dad (and in fact all the general older people I was with) got very drunk and were dancing like fools at the front....mum and her friend were also involved in a game of throwing strawberries in champagne....lots of fun!

You'll love it, hope it stays sunny and bright for you.

9. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

The details I've got say that I'm not allowed to take picnic as it is an all seated event. I was really looking forward to being able to.

10. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

Hey Ruth, you are guaranteed a fantastic night, believe me.
    I went to see him before Christmas for the first time with my mate who goes just about every year!
    The concert is amazing, from start to finish you will be just blown away with the tallent he has. The support of Sam Brown and Ruby Turner are great too. Look out for Rico Rodriguez (trombone), class!! :biggrin:
    It is, as has been said before, faced paced, so dont expect to chill out. I didn't need a pic-nic and booze to get me up dancing. In fact, the whole place was up having a boogie, even all the old dudes.
    Having said that, don't just think it's oldies that go to see him, I couldn't believe the variation in age and general people there.
    I really am rather jealous! Have fun hun.
    xxx

11. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

saw him at Symphony Hall Birmingham
    What a star:clap: :clap:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tickets
    anyone
    any
    weather
    Jools Holland
  13. Saw him at St Georges Hall in Bradford - seems he always uses Sam Brown and Ruby Turner, but it was a fantastic show. He had a camera linked to a massive screen and it was focused solely on the piano. Plus, he encouraged everyone to get up and dance, even those up in the Gods!!!!

Highly recommended guy to see in concert.

Andy

14. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

Ive seen him many times at Glastobury, hes usually a great Sunday afternoon act , you know lying on the grass in the heat/ mud* (* delete as appropriate) with some stunning toe tapping tunes and an array of great guests, and most importantly an ace brass section.

Speaking of Glastonbury I always tell myseelf i will get up on the Sunday to go and see Yeovil band on the pyramid stage at 11 am. Strangely I never seem to make it. (though I have heard them from my tent!)

15. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Echo everything that has been said.

I've been to see him 4 times in the last year. Brilliant night out and you get your money's worth. At least two hours of Jools, sometimes two and half.

His band are brilliant. Every one of them has a solo spot - watch out for the trombone player (Rico Rodriguez I think it is) - provided he can find his music ;) he is jaw-droppingly good.

Also, the drummer - Gilson Lavis - at the last gig I saw the band vacated the stage and he held the audience in awe for some 15-20 minutes with some simply astonishing drumming.

Phew..........I hope you enjoy/ed it. Please let us know what you thought.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Yeah the guy on drums is simply awesome. Both times I've seen Jools he was the driving force behind the whole gig. And by "driving" I mean he didn't stop all night, with some fantasic and very committed drumming thoughout. He must be late 50's / early 60's (I'm guessing) but he simply didn't stop all night.

As I say - awesome, but a guy who has "GILSON LAVIS" in biiiig letters on the outer skins of his (two) bass drums really should be good shouldn't he...;)

17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

He's 55 - so not a bad guess ;) and is up there with the greatest drummers without a doubt.