Anyone going to GABBF?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brasscrest, May 10, 2005.

1. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I know that the vast majority of tMPer's are far across the ocean, but I'll ask anyway -
    anyone out there going to be attending the Great American Brass Band Festival in Kentucky next month?

I'll be there with the National Capital Band.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMPer
    GABBF
    National Capital Band
    Great American Brass Band Festival
    Kentucky
  3. Dianamite

Dianamite Member

An excellent festival!!! Our band back home (Brass Band of Columbus) has played there several times. I'm supposed to be playing with the Athena Band there this year, but I'm here in England! Oh well....

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Yes, the schedule they gave us indicates that Chicago will be playing quite a bit - looks like they have a concert slot on Main Street on Saturday morning and then two on the Main Stage with Steven Mead, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

I'm really looking forward to the festival. The last time the NCB went (1997) I was on leave of absence.

6. Jules Cornet

Jules Cornet Member

I was priviledged to take my group, Festival Brass, to Kentucky to appear at GABBF 2000, representing both the UK and The Salvation Army. Also representing the UK as guest soloist was Steve Sykes. GABBF is The Great American Brass Band Festival staged at Centre College, Danville, Kentucky, with band's of all description playing mainly in outdoors arenas to a total audience of 40,000+

We had an incredible time with some surreal experiences and memories that will live with us forever.

We did two concerts on the main stage, one on main street, took part in the grand parade and led the worship at the Sunday morning equimenical service.

We were also the demonstration group for a lecture given by Dr Ronald Holz about the development of the British brass band test piece in the 20th century as part of the historical conference that precedes GABBF, as we played excerpts for the distinguished audience of delegates.

We also did an impromptu concert at the local ice cream parlour, emerging from 3 mini vans into their parking space, as we played Come Follow The Band, a performance that guaranteed us free shakes and ice creams for the duration of our stay!

Have a great weekend and pass on my regards to anybody who remembers us, especially Dr George Foreman, Dr Ron Holz, and Vince Di Martino.

7. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

I'll look forward to your band's performance and maybe meeting you there!