Anyone fancy a cheap budget Spotting Scope...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 7, 2009.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey All

Just had an email from a mate pointing out the special offers on at Aldi's this Sunday. Very often they come up trumps with weird and wacky items that have nowt to do with food shopping!! I have seen laptops and TV's ridiculous prices.

Well this week, they have an introductory spotting scope on special offer, here's the link;

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/offers_week07sunday09.htm

So, if you're into walking, birds, wildlife et al, as an intro scope this one is very good value all things considered.

2. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Lidls are sometimes good as well....I had a tuner/metronome from there before Christmas for £10!!!

3. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

Ah brings back memories of the first christmas we had with my now step dad. He bought my mother and I a sewing machine each from Aldi for £50 each :tongue: Bargain!
    I used it at least 4 times! Not sure where it is now though have drank a lot since then:guiness

4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Out doing the Sunday shop this morning, I stopped by a local branch of Aldi's to check out this scope. In summary - for £26, it's not that bad at all. I do though have something to compare it to, as I have an Opticron GS 665 ED scope - and though a different league, I can at least offer some comment on what you get for £26.

Now, obviously the ED glass in the Opticron is optically superior, and you can't really do a side by side comparison of these two scopes - but by heck, for just £26 squidgers one simply can't go wrong. The field of view is quite narrow, and one has to position oneself quite accurately over the eyepiece, but once the sweet spot is found, a fairly clear (with slight vignetting) view is presented. I couldn't zoom up to the massive x60 magnification of the included eyepiece, as I was handhoding the scope - this would have bee nigh on impossible handheld, so all I could do was check it at x20 - x30'ish.

I didn't actually buy one today, but if Heather had wanted a scope I would have bought this unit for her as an intro to spotting scopes.

If I didn't already own a scope would I have purchased this one... quite possibly.

5. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I once had some slight vignetting. I saw the doctor, he gave me a cream and it cleared up within a few days...

*gets coat, calls taxi*

6. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

^ :biggrin::biggrin:

Don't know about the spotting scope, but I fancy the Veuve Whatsername and the handcrafted chocolates.:redface: