Anyone ever had an Apisectomy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassmittens, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can share their experiences with me?

I have to have an Apsiectomy on 2 of my front teeth on 21st Jan........which needless to say i am not looking forward to!!!:frown:

I wondered if anyone else has expereince of something similar?

I am anxious to find out how long before i can play again as i would:
    a) hate to miss the areas in March, and b) would not want to leave my band in the lurch without a bass player if it can be avoided!!

Any one with any tales of similar ops would be much appreciated and hopefully put my mind at rest.

Many thanks - i know someone out there should be able to help.

(PS mods - if this is posted in the wrong place please feel free to move!)

2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I suggest you send a pm to our own tmp dentist Rachel. Her user name is cornetgirl

3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Is she, hmmm. I have to wait for a tooth extraction and that's not until 17th April!

4. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I will do - thanks for the advice!!

I would still welcome anyone's own practical experience of such a procedure though.

My own dentists reckons a week to 10 days and i should be fine.....but she does not play a brass instrument. the only other player i know had 4 seperate ops done and took around 3 months to play again :eek::eek::eek: hoping they were just unlucky though!!

Thanks

5. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I had this procedure carried out on one of my lower front teeth. The dental surgeon did a fine job of ensuring i was pretty much pain free throughout, although it was pretty unpleasant. A week to ten days sounds feasible to start gentle playing, if memory serves I had the cornet back out around that sort of timescale, though probably a little longer before you're back to full strength. I suppose we all heal at slightly different rates. Good luck, hope all goes well.

6. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Main thing will depend on how quickly u heal and stitch placement. Also if u swell up a lot. I recommend keeping several bags of frozen peas in the freezer and wrapping them up in a towel (ice burns not fun) and keeping them on for as long as u can bear if this happens. Keep the area afterwards very clean with corsodyl twice a day and warm salty water rinses after every meal normally does the trick. Don't be heroic and take painkillers if u need them. don't rush into playing too soon, listen to ur body. if it hurts its too soon!!

7. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess everyone is different and healing times will differ. Thanks for the advice about peas and corsodyl. After the pain with them i've had recently i will have no problems knocking back the pain killers.

Many thanks DMBabe