Anyone ever had an Apisectomy?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bassmittens, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can share their experiences with me?

I have to have an Apsiectomy on 2 of my front teeth on 21st Jan........which needless to say i am not looking forward to!!!:frown:

I wondered if anyone else has expereince of something similar?

I am anxious to find out how long before i can play again as i would:
    a) hate to miss the areas in March, and b) would not want to leave my band in the lurch without a bass player if it can be avoided!!

Any one with any tales of similar ops would be much appreciated and hopefully put my mind at rest.

Many thanks - i know someone out there should be able to help.

(PS mods - if this is posted in the wrong place please feel free to move!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    PS
    Apisectomy
    Apsiectomy
    tales of similar ops
    lurch
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I suggest you send a pm to our own tmp dentist Rachel. Her user name is cornetgirl

4. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Is she, hmmm. I have to wait for a tooth extraction and that's not until 17th April!

5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I will do - thanks for the advice!!

I would still welcome anyone's own practical experience of such a procedure though.

My own dentists reckons a week to 10 days and i should be fine.....but she does not play a brass instrument. the only other player i know had 4 seperate ops done and took around 3 months to play again :eek::eek::eek: hoping they were just unlucky though!!

Thanks

6. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I had this procedure carried out on one of my lower front teeth. The dental surgeon did a fine job of ensuring i was pretty much pain free throughout, although it was pretty unpleasant. A week to ten days sounds feasible to start gentle playing, if memory serves I had the cornet back out around that sort of timescale, though probably a little longer before you're back to full strength. I suppose we all heal at slightly different rates. Good luck, hope all goes well.

7. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Main thing will depend on how quickly u heal and stitch placement. Also if u swell up a lot. I recommend keeping several bags of frozen peas in the freezer and wrapping them up in a towel (ice burns not fun) and keeping them on for as long as u can bear if this happens. Keep the area afterwards very clean with corsodyl twice a day and warm salty water rinses after every meal normally does the trick. Don't be heroic and take painkillers if u need them. don't rush into playing too soon, listen to ur body. if it hurts its too soon!!

8. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess everyone is different and healing times will differ. Thanks for the advice about peas and corsodyl. After the pain with them i've had recently i will have no problems knocking back the pain killers.

Many thanks DMBabe