Anyone else into Formula 1?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by fitzy, Mar 3, 2005.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Just wondering if there are any other tMpers who where into F1 racing. The Australian GP is on this weekend and there are heaps of people in town for it.
    I have to say I am fairly biased towards Mark Webber..........................
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Yup - I'm looking forward to it, although lets hope there is a bit more excitement this year ;-) I'll admit to being a big Ferarri fan tho. Schumacher for title no 8.... :)
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

It seems like this year, I have to support the Renault F1 team, because I'm currently doing a project with them at work ;)

And they had some really good results in the preseason tests!
  4. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Michael Shumacher will probably win again this year but look out for Webber when he gets going!

Not sure who will win this weekend. Will be an interesting race.
  5. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

First race is always interesting! Ferarri will be strong, as will Renault with BAR and McLaren not far behind. Williams have already released that they wont be competative in the first few races, but having a new team (Red Bull) as well should make this one of the most interesting for a while :)
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I should imagine jmb83 will be setting his alarm to watch the race - 3am our time!

(I'll probably stick with the rerun later in the day ;) )
  7. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

So do I get into trouble if I put blow by blow posts on here while you are all in bed when I'm watching the race live? ;)
  8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

9. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Oh yes, big time. Went to Spa last year and planning a late night this Sat/Sun to catch the action. Forget Schumacher, Kimi will blow him away this year if Michelin can get the tyres right for the new regs...

Webber's an unknown quantity. Best result so far is fifth in a Minardi - no podiums and little evidence that he can capitalize on his good qualifying. I expect Heidfeld will be stronger for Williams.

Should be a good season!

10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

This is a good site for F1 news I found a while back. I have a couple more around somewhere!

I might have to organise to get some tMpers down here for next years race! ;) I would love to go if I can get the time free!
  11. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Not convinced - McLaren will need to have something special to beat the Ferarris - unless you know something we don't! ;)

How many people can say they got points driving a Minardi!! :biggrin: I think Webber will do all right, he has had his fair share of car problems - if he gets a good car he will be there or therabouts.

Damn right! I still think Ferarri and Schumi will do it this year - it will be interesting watching the season unfold! :D
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The people from Renault F1 that I spoke to, were really hopefull about this year. They think they have a much better car then last year (which was basically cr*p) and they really seem to think that they gained on Ferrari. Combine that with two excellent drivers (Alonso and Fisichella), and they are hoping for at least 3 or 4 wins this year (last year they won 1 race).

Besides that, visiting the Renault F1 Technical Centre was quite an impressive experience! :biggrin:
  13. postie

postie Member

Very good reports on the new Renault so far this year. Also keep an eye out for Coulthard very solid driver and a good signing for Red Bull.
  14. rutty

rutty Active Member

My company used to sponsor Benetton before it became Renault and I was lucky enough to go to one Friday practice session for free! Had lunch in the Benetton tent then had a guided tour around the Pavilion, a walk down the pitlane and a tour of the Benetton garage. So, I hope that Renault do well this year.

I'll be watching the season with interest :)
  15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

ooo I like formua 1. There's nothing better than having a home cooked sunday roast then settling down infront of the tv with a cup of tea and the sunday papers.

That's what sundays between March and October are for!
  16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Yep I like F1, however, I now hate Ferrari with even more of a passion because of them not allowing Minardi to race on Sunday. Yes, the minnows would be racing with last years car with most of the new regs adhered to.
    It's a bad start to the new season, but the fewer cars that race, the less of a spectacle, and the more boring each race becomes.
  17. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Love F1 :D big time love it.... followed it when I was a kid as well.... havent seen as much of it nowadays but still try and watch on TV as often as I can........... yea......

Would love to go watch live at some point... always looks like a great atmosphere!

:clap: :clap:
  18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member two in the morning....??? I like your style!

19. Soppy

Soppy Member

I'm an F1 fan too. I'll be getting up on Sunday. It should be a good race at Melbourne because of all the new regs and stuff. Hopefully they'll be some closer racing this year with the raised front wings etc, but I still expect Ferrari to win. Probably kind of like 2003.

I used to support Jean Alesi. Anybody remeber him? I can't really support anyone now (it doesn't feel the same), although I'd prefer it if Ferrari beat McLaren. I wouldn't mind if Williams won (although I doubt they will), and I root for Jense'.

But the football is naff atm, so I'm hoping it will be good.

@stephen 2001; Red Bull are also protesting now, because Stoddy only had Purnell's signature, and not Horner's. But the itv website says that they'll race under appeal, so at least they should be on the grid, even if they end up wth a DQ
  20. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Yep I read about that after I posted, and one thing that stuck me is Red Bull are going to struggle if their top two people in the team aren't going to agree on things!