Anyone coming to watch the Dronfield Contest?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by timbloke, Sep 26, 2005.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Is anyone coming to Dronfield on Saturday to support Stannington, Riddings or Carlton Main as we battle it out in the Annual Invitation Entertainments Contest?

Should be a good night.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Dronfield
    Stannington
    Dronfield Contest
    Riddings
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That looks like a big NO then Tim. I think most of the seats are taken by the numerous OAPs of Derbshire that get bused in courtesy of the local council. Although there are usually plently of seats available on the night. If no one else is coming I'll come and support you - will you all be going back to Stannington to celebrate/drown your sorrows? or as you're playing at Whycavon the next day will it be early to bed;)

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I'll cheer you on at Wychavon, Tim...

5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Unfortunately not coming to Dronfield as we have a concert (Dronfield band have a concert when Dronfield Contest is on!?!?) Pity. Its a great contest. Good luck Stannington!!!!

6. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

A bit of bad planning there then - why doesn't your band support this contest in your own village? If you've got a concert locally how's that going to compete with all the nice free tickets that the council put out for the OAPs at a concert just down the road?

7. timbloke

timbloke Member

Cheers. You can marvel at the speedy slidework in the Bombast***d

8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Don't think the concert is in Dronfield. More suprised that they haven't tried to enlist us as unpaid lackeys

9. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

What time does it start?
    I might make the trip over for a listen if it doesn't start too early :)

10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Date: 1-Oct-2005
    Start time:
    19:30hrs

Venue:
    Dronfield Sports Centre, Civic Centre, Dronfield, Derbyshire
    S18 1PD

Further information:
    Details
    47th Annual Invitation Entertainment Contest
    3 Invited Brass Bands from the locality.

From 4barsrest classified

11. should be a good do

look forward to seeing you there francis

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Dronfield
    Stannington
    Dronfield Contest
    Riddings
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Sorry guys, its too far. Serious case of cba.

Also I believe that my sweet wrappers maybe too quiet. And I'm also 50 years too young to attend as an audience member.

Do they have a special high powered hearing aid induction loop to cope with the demand??

Oh the joys of trying to get student discount the last time I went. They weren't prepared for any under 80s attending!

Best of luck, enjoy yourselves.

14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

That's a pity as following on from last year's adjudicator's remarks I thought you'd be looking forward to hearing each band playing euphonium air varies.

Looks like I'll see you next at Pontins then. Still covering your seat at BBSBB and now they've got me signed up too.

15. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Didn't think you did contesting......

16. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

Anyone got any results or a report on the event then?

17. timbloke

timbloke Member

Carlton Main - 192 points
    Riddings - 190 points
    Stannington - 188 points

Best Soloist - Kirsty Abbots

Well done to her and everyone in each of the bands was a great night. pity we were out classed, but no surprises in the results.

18. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Well now that Killamarsh have voted not to contest I'll have to contest elsewhere... so BBSBB get me and not Old Silkstone. At the moment bass players seem to be like the proverbial rocking horse do-dos. Old Silkstone down to 2, Chapeltown 2 etc Killamarsh 5 so we can share one out.

Back to this thread I thought the Carlton Main performance was excellent and a super programme - Softly Softly, Meditation form Thais, Jubilee and finished with the Shostakovich Scherzo from Symphony No 10 (fantastic).

First time I've heared Softly Softly (old black and white TV police series theme tune) and then two of the first three bands in the Championship Section played this at Whycavon - still very exciting peice of music.