Anyone coming to watch the Cambridge Masters?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bryan_sop, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Just wondered if anyone is coming over to watch the Masters on 29th May? It just so happens, that the CAMBRIDGE BEER FESTIVAL final day is on Saturday 28th. Maybe we could even make it a social event? I could probably put a few people up, or suggest places to stay.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cambridge Masters
    URL
    social event
    places
    people
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That sounds brillant!!

Diana and I will be there, along with two of our friends visiting from the States. We had already talked about getting a hotel room, but this my be more incentive.

4. lewis

lewis Member

The beer festival bit sounds great...

5. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

This sounds a good plan Brian. I will try my best to get there :tup

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Right - sorted - I will be at the Beer Festival on Saturday and me and Aardvark will be at the Masters contest and concert on the Sunday.

I reckon we're gonna be staying at the Holiday Inn which is almost on the doorstep of the Corn Exchange.

Anyone got any plans for meeting up on the Saturday?

Cheers

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The Holiday Inn is now the Crown Plaza. Very nice hotel but quite pricey. My Dad stayed there recently when he came over to see a couple of Concerts I was in. They were very accomodating, they even let us eat our Kebabs in the bar at 1 am whilst sipping Remy Martin!! :cool: Apparantly there is quite a discount for booking on line. There are plenty of Hotels/B&B's for a lot less locally. Let me know if you're interested and I'll get details.

As for meeting for the beer festival, I'll be going, depending on what time people plan to get there, we could meet somewhere like The Regal for breakfast (open at 10.30 I think)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  8. DublinBass

Locations

Just trying to get my bearings here. I've put together a map using multimap. I believe the top circle is Jesus Green, where the beer festival is, and the bottom circle is the corn exchange. If this is wrong, please, somebody, let me know ASAP. Otherwise, please use the map to help you fid hotel locations/ parking, etc...

Attached Files:

9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The circle for the Corn exchange is correct. Jesus green is actually the big field to the right of the circle at the top of the map.

10. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Hi If you will go to Germany at end of May for me, (27th- 30th ) I will suffer and drink loads of beer at the Beer Festival, Have a good one, enjoyed your company at Hadleigh:biggrin:

11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Not sure I'll be getting there quite that early. But it won't be too much after that. The Festival is open from 11.00am to 10.30pm - so I don't think they'll run out of beer :eek:. Perhaps if we PM each other with our mobile numbers we can keep in touch with everybody that way. If you want to know about parking etc you can find out on the Festival website.

I'm booked in at the Crowne Plaza which is only ½mile from the Festival and 300 yards from the Corn Exchange for the Sunday. Driving home after the concert though!!!! Does anyone know if the programme for the concert has been made public yet?

Cheers

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cambridge Masters
    URL
    social event
    places
    people
  13. DublinBass

Sadly, I went to the Great British Beer Festival last August at Kensington Olympia and some of the stands had dried up by the last day...so while there will certainly be beer, the selection may suffere a bit.

14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

NO,the reason why is because i am not to keen on the test piece and i am sure they could have picked a better piece as it was only used there not all that long ago

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From the BAYV Band website:

Buy As You View Band

Conductor Dr. Robert Childs

Carnival Overture Dvorak arr Brand

Immortal Theme Steadman Allen (Trombone soloist Christopher Thomas)

Procession to Covenant Himes

Soloist Showcase:
    Capriccio Brilliante Belstedt arr Smith (Horn soloist Owen Farr)

Adagio from Concerto de Aranjuez Rodrigo (Flugel soloist Joanne Deane)

Harlequin Sparke (Euphonium soloist David Childs (World Première))

Finale:
    Excerpts from Firebird Suite Stravinsky arr Farr

(No details of Fodens' part of the programme)

16. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

If you're staying at the crown plaza, it has it's own car park, which is fairly reasonably priced. Alternatively, I can let people park at my work, which is about 10 minutes walk away. Parking is quite tight (and expensive) in cambridge at the moment because they've just demolished the biggest multi-story car park, which is between the corn exchange and the crown plaza.

17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

May come to the Beer Festival on Saturday, depending on train times from Cambridge back to Norwich, would hate to have to return too soon. Unfortunately cannot stay as I have to work on the Sunday at Carrow Road for the Elton John concert!

18. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Last train back to Norwich is 22.30

19. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks Bryan, your efficiency is amazing! Sounds promising now!!!

20. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

This has been the case when I've been on the Saturday evening before, some of the better beers had gone but there was still plenty there. It usually chucks down with rain at some point too!!!

21. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Well it looks like I'm going to be disappearing for a while on Saturday evening. I found out last night, that City of Cambridge band have a Joint concert with Reg Vardy that night (nice to be kept informed! :rolleyes: ) Cambridge are only playing in the first half of the concert so I may leave at half time and go back to the festival. Of course, if anyone wants to go and watch the concert, you're more than welcome. I don't know how much tickets are yet but should know fairly soon.

22. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Would be great to see the " New Masters" competition , good luck to the BTM Band, just heard you guys got an invite.
    Nice One... :)