Anyone buying petrol from Tesco or Morrisons?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tubafran, Mar 1, 2007.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Anyone currently got a problem with their car caused by fuel?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6405051.stm?ls

Odd that in all the tests nothing has been found in the fuel - although I just heard on the radio that this problem has been around for a number of days and it's likely that the petrol that has allegedly caused the problem will have been sold by now.

I get all my fuel at Morrisons (business expense and get the cash back vouchers) but I will be thinking seriously about my next fill up - which with rehearsals every night wont be far away.

Shame that Tescos might have to be paying out for all the engine damage - but then again I suppose they can afford it.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tescos
    Morrisons
    problem
    Odd
    fuel
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I filled up at Morrisons a couple of days ago and had no problems at all. I'll be trying Sainsbury's this evening on my way home, but that's only because it's the most convenient, not because I'm worried about the petrol!

4. ratley

ratley Member

I filled up as usual at Tesco on Saturday and mentioned to a colleague on Tuesday evening that my car had kangaroo petrol....either that or my clutch control was iffy as I was tired! I hope it's just a coincidence.....

:(

5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Not had a problem myself but my partner has been to the Vauxhall garage after the engine management light came on and the car started spluttering. They have reset whatever it is they have to do but the car is still not functioning properly. Compensation from TESCO's methinks!!!

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Use diesel instead...
    BMB
    xx

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

But not in a petrol engine, otherwise your car will lose all acceleration, start coughing and spluttering, and do lots of expensive damage to the engine. :tongue:

Oh hang on - maybe there isn't a problem with the petrol after all. It is just a widespread attack of numptyism! :tongue: :eek:

8. barrytone

barrytone Member

Filled up at Asda this morning before the news broke, hoping their petrol is ok! Car is quite old now, 12 years, and doesn't need the challenge of substandard petrol. Lovely car, wouldn't think it's twelve, doesn't look it and has over 130,000 on the clock but still out-performs many younger, more powerful cars. I love it!

9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It it's an old car it probably wont be a problem - reading the news it appears to be sensors that dictate oxygen which are causing the problem. These sensors are closing down engine management systems and it's that component that's getting replaced - some guy with a Merc had two go and it cost over £1,000 to replace - makes for a very expensive tank fill up.

What is odd is that if there's an expensive sensor in the car why is it becoming unusable after it's done it's detecting job? Any mechanical bods know what that's about?

10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Indeed. What kind of numpty would do a thing like that?:tongue:
    BMB
    xx

11. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

The company I work for supply chemicals/laboratory equipment, The technical support boffins at work tell me that they have looked into this theirselves, they say the problem with the petrol is that it contains too much ethanol, meaning that there are greater emmisions given off, therefore the emission sensors are reducing the flow of petrol which causes the shuddering/engine failure light.

I dont know whether they are right, though they think they know everything :D

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Tescos
    Morrisons
    problem
    Odd
    fuel
  13. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Is it a Saab? Mines J reg with 154,000 miles on the clock and it's fantastic. It is a bit fussy about which petrol it likes though:rolleyes:

14. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Ethanol blending is seen in some place as being relatively environmentally friendly as it generates lower levels of greenhouse gases like CO. It does, however, reportedly cause a rise in other oxidation products like acetaldehyde and nitrogen oxides (maybe acting as a co-oxidant? dunno?)....but I guess it depends which emissions the engine management systems are monitoring

15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I'm actually pleased now that I haven't been allowed to drive for the last 3 weeks since my surgery - at least there's no chance of any petrol damage to my car. Just underuse!

16. barrytone

barrytone Member

It's a Volvo and it does have sensors on the exhaust system that report information back to the EMS which adjusts the flow of fuel/oxygen etc. It's a 2 litre, fuel injection, in fact although it's nearly 12 years old, it was top of the range at the time it was made. Dreading the day when I have to replace it, was hard enough deciding to replace my old reliable baritone, anyway Asda petrol that's in it so far appears ok so far, fingers crossed!

17. NeilW

NeilW Member

News this evening is that its not ethanol but excessive silicone in the petrol.

Apparently, they put SOME silicone compound in to reduce the petrol frothing as you fill up - sounds like they put too much in!

I know that O2 sensors in the exhaust are poisoned by anti-freeze getting in (usually head gasket failure time) and as that contains a silicone compound, I presume its done the same thing.

Next time my MGF goes in for a service, I'm going to get them to change the O2 sensor as (yes, OK, OK - but at 110k miles I can't complain!) it had a head gasket go last year, and does miss sometimes (but not that badly...) when it gets warm. I bought a replacement sensor on Ebay some time ago...

I can't blame Tesco or Morrison's (though we DO buy petrol from the latter when in Wycombe...) - I normally buy my petrol at Asda or Sainsbury's on the way to or from work.

Neil.

18. Souter

Souter Member

I remember being told NOT to buy supermarket petrol by a good source as the petrol has none of the additives blended by BP or Shell etc to keep the engine going well and using supermarket petrol only stores up problems for the car later on!

19. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Contrary to that, my brother in law (who's a car mechanic who owns a petrol station with garage in Cornwall) has me believe that all the petrol stations use the same distributors...make of that what you will....

....the context of my conversation was "We don't use X petrol - we use Y or Z"....which is when his smirking began.

20. Souter

Souter Member

Yeh they all buy the same petrol as I understand it but then they put in their own additives prior to delivering to the garagel or during delivery at the garage.

21. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I filled up with Tesco petrol the day before it was on the news :mad: ... I've had no problems yet *touch wood* ... I'll probably break down on Saturday on the way to the areas ...

22. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Nice to see that after all the denials by Morrisons and Tescos that there was nothing wrong with their petrol and really it was was some kind of mass halucination on the part of drivers that the price of petrol is likely to rise to cover the cost of this fiasco

"Petrol and diesel prices could jump 2p a litre because of the ongoing rogue petrol fiasco, driver were warned last night.

The Sunday Mirror reports that the rise will happen because supermarkets will have to pay higher prices for emergency replacement stocks. The price hike warning came as the contaminated unleaded petrol blamed for thousands of cars breaking down was traced to four storage tanks at a depot in Thurrock, Essex."

How much profit did Tesco make last year ? £2.2 billion.