Anybody watching the Super Bowl tonight? Predictions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Feb 5, 2006.

Who will win the Super Bowl

1. Seattle Seahawks

3 vote(s)
  2. Pittsburgh Steelers

6 vote(s)
  1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I realise it will be very late for you folks, but I was wondering who would be watching the Super Bowl tonights.

I have to say that it is not as much fun to watch in the UK, because often the bet part of watching it are the advertisements (which you don't get over there). Companies spend $25 million for 30 seconds!! You can follow the ads as they are aired (or watch them tomorrow) online at

I think the Seahawks are going to pull the 'upset'. Not sure why...just a feeling.
  2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Though I occasionally like watching American Football, I don't know enough about the two teams involved tonight to make a prediction, or to have a personal favourite. Nevertheless, I'll either watch it tonight or tape it and watch it tomorrow. (Transmission finishes after 3am tomorrow, UK time!)

Odd thing though here in the UK. I know that the broadcasting rights for the American Football season changed a few weeks back (abc to ESPN, was it?). Anyway, that had a knock on effect here, it seems. Channel Five broadcast live Monday night games earlier in the season but recently, ITV have been showing highlights of the playoffs and are showing the Superbowl live tonight. Personally, I quite liked Five's coverage. I learned a wee bit about the tactics used whilst the American network had their commercial breaks. Personally, I worry when ANY sporting event is given to ITV!
  3. DublinBass

I think the way it works is...
    CBS gets the AFC Sunday 1:00-7:00pm EST games
    FOX gets the NFS Sunday 1:00-7:00pm EST games
    ESPN has had the Sunday 8:00pm-12:00am EST games
    and just got the Monday 9:00pm-1:0am EST games from ABC
    (now they made a big deal about the latter change which is odd since Disney owns both ABC and ESPN?!)

Also, if you notice the primetime games take a bit longer (usually 30-45 min) because of extra commercial breaks and delayed start times. It'll say it begins at 8, but may not start until 8:30pm to milk the audience)

How nice is footie, when I'm going to leave for the pub in a bit, watch Chelsea v. Liverpool and know the game will actually start at 11:00am+/- 5 minutes and be over by 1pm!!

HANNAH Member

I'm mad with work now, I've been looking forward to watching the super bowl for a while now and was meant to have the day off tomorrow, but no! They decide to put me on at 7am!!!! So I guess I'm going to have to take a nap now, watch it then get another few hours sleep before work. I guess I'm going to be grouchy at band tomorrow night!! How I wish I was still living in America! Anyway as far as who wins, I'd say the Steelers will win, but as you said, it wouldn't surprise me if the Seahawks did pull a big upset! We'll see!
  5. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Seahawks?! Sorry. Not gonna happen. The AFC has always been stronger than the NFC, and the Seahawks had a lilly schedule all season. Compared to the Steelers, who handed top-rated Indianpolis Colts their second loss of season, and consequent elimination from the playoffs - that was the 'upset' of the year.

If the Steelers play like they've been playing, the Seahawks have no chance. I don't buy into this whole "but it's their first time to the Superbowl - they should win" B.S. Sorry, but when the Utah Jazz went to the NBA playoffs in '97 against the Bulls, and the Bulls brought their own officials (and eventually won), I have no sympathy for first-timers anymore. If my Jazz couldn't get a pity-win, then neither should the Seahawks, IMHO. I hope it's a blow-out.

I'm normally a Broncos fan (although not much of a football fan altogether), but I had the pleasure of actually meeting Terry Bradshaw when I was 7 or 8. He was the quarterback during their domination of the NFL (4 Superbowl wins in 5 years) back in he '80s. I even bought one of his 'throwback' jerseys to wear to the party I'm going to.

So - all I can say is: GO STEELERS!!!
  6. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I've gone for the Steelers - I think that with them winning 3 games on the road to get there, they're going to take some stopping. Coverage starts over here at 11.15pm so it is going to end up being a very late night!
  7. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Lost interest when Walter Payton retired I'm afraid.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I watched some of the first half, then listened to some of the second half on the radio as I was dropping off to sleep. Not the most exciting of games this year!
  9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'm pleased for the Bus that the Steelers won, especially in Detroit. I remember watching the Steelers lose the Superbowl in '96. In this day and age, it's amazing they stuck with the same coach through thick and thin.

Next year, the 'Skins' name is on the trophy. (yeah right)
  10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

*Yawn!* :-?

I stayed up to watch it, and feel slightly groggy this morning.

Good game I thought, although was a tad disappointed with the Seahawks, they just didn't seem to be able to work a way round the Steelers defence all night until it was just to late.

I'm a 49ers fan so this season was a complete washout for me, just hoping we can at least post a winning season next year. Bleak times for the Gold Rush. Oh how I long for the Montana/Rice/Craig years to come back!!
  11. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I enjoyed the match, although it wasn't the best ever - I thought Pittsburgh's last touchdown was class!
  12. DublinBass

Below are some of the top ads I can view them at

Anheuser-Busch "Secret Fridge"
    Anheuser-Busch "Super Fan"
    Anheuser-Busch "Clydesdale American Dream"
    FedEx: Caveman
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

OK, I need a bit of help from those more au fait with American football than me (and no sarcasm intended with that comment! ;))

Whilst I understand that the ball only has to break the line in order for a touchdown to be given, I still did not see why, even after numerous replays, the Steelers' first touchdown was given. Add to that, I thought that particularly for a contact sport, the Seahawks first 'touchdown' was in my view, rather pettily chalked off and I reckon the Seahawks must be pretty cheesed off.

I had no particular favourite team yesterday, so I was just watching it as a 'neutral'.

14. DublinBass

I think you understand the game perfectly Dave ;)

You'll have calls like that...not unlike those phantom offsides in footie :D
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

To quote what I saw on another website earlier today, What the hell is this Superb Owl all about, anyway? ;)