anybody heard of Blast!?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by silkenrose, Apr 6, 2007.

1. silkenrose

silkenrose New Member

these guys are absolutely awesome! wicked as music and performance (marching included) for brass and percussion

www.blasttheshow.com

or check out youtube and search for Blast! esp Officer Krumpke, Battery Battle, and Loss

anybody ever played standing on a chair suspended 12 feet above a stage or while riding a unicycle?

so totally recommend you check this out!

2. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

As it happened watched the DVD last week for the first time. Tremendous show! Choreography superb, musicianship even better. Amazing high energy drive. This is what doing something different with brass music is about!

3. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Saw them twice at the Hammersmith Apollo when they were over a few years ago. .......Absolutely fantastic.

Would definitely go and see them again if they toured the UK.

Where did you get the DVD and what's it called - would like to get a copy.

Cheers

4. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

I saw them at Hammersmith too, good stuff.

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I also saw them at Hammersmith - brilliant!

The dvd is on Amazon.com

6. ratpit

ratpit Member

I went to the Hammersmith Show

Really impressed

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've never seen/heard them but researched the name. When we first set up our quintet it would have been a perfect name for us because our names spelled blast (Bryan, Louise, Alan, Sam, Tom) but we couldn't use it because it was already taken :mad:

As it goes anyway, Tom had to leave and Mr Quinlan joined us, but BLASD doesn't really have the same ring to it :D

8. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I saw Blast! at Hammersmith. We took a party from the marching Band to see the show on the last night. Awesome!! :clap:

I also have the DVD, Video, T-Shirt, CD, etc!! :D :D

In a (slight) coincidence, I spent last week at a band camp for the British Youth Band Association, teaching alongside Nick Angelis, one of the Snare Drum soloists from Blast!

9. bandrh

bandrh Member

Nice to see another marching bander on here!
    I saw Blast twice great stuff. I have the DVD but be carefull as the one I have would not work on a standard DVD player, would play on a pc though.
    I also have a dvd of Jeoff Queen who was the leading snare player, this is really good.
    There are many marching band around the country that are similar to Blast in style have a look at www.byba.org.uk

10. youngblood

youngblood Member

Also if you are into marching bands check out 'Myspace' as most of the American bands have sites on it.

You could also just check the friends list of the new BRASS festival myspacesite: http://www.myspace.com/brassdif as there are quite a few on there including the band from which Blast was created, Star of Indiana I think it is. Their site has loads of vids on as do many of the others.

Talking of vids if you are into marching bands or trombones check out the forum of the official BRASS site www.brassfestival.co.uk as there is a thread for brass based videos on it and one called Trombone Suicide will amuse you, clever stuff with two rows of trombone players!

Also I am sure BRASS have not got any marching bands at it yet but I am sure they would welcome them! They seem keen to promote all brass playing

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Krumpke
    www.blasttheshow.com
    Blast! esp
    Battery Battle
    stage
  12. youngblood

youngblood Member

13. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

The DVD I have is region 1 only as well, but my DVD player is multi region (the TV is NTSC compatible as well!!) so I have no problems there!! :D

I march with Centurion Showband (3rd in Div 3 last year), who are you with?

Daz

14. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

15. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Didn't Blast (or similar) first appear on Generation Game?

16. bandrh

bandrh Member

Hi Daz
    Thats the problem then with my dvd player its only plays non American ones.
    I am not currently marching with any band but looking to join a local one but there are not many in NW London, the nearest is Distant thunder, buts that Bedford quite a way from me.
    I was up your way last year as I attended the percussion workshop organised by Phil Johnson your percusion section leader.

Martin
    Yiewley & West Drayton band
    2nd Baritone
    Harrow Church Lads & Church Girls Brigade
    bandmaster

17. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Ha, we could all shave our heads and call ourselves.. The Balds ...

(I'll get my coat...)

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Or recruit an extra plyer named "Eric" and become "The Blades" ;)