Anybody clever about tonight?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jul 15, 2007.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

My headphones won't work in my PC :(

They normally do!

I have plugged them in with speakers plugged in and the speakers unplugged and nothing works!!! Well.... the speakers work beautifully.... .but I'm wanting to be quiet.... hence the speakers!

I have made sure the volume is on etc. etc. etc.

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 if that is any help.... the microphone Jack is on the front of the computer and not the monitor!

I am getting angry and want to throw the stupid thing out of the window..... even though I am downstairs :p

Somebody suggest something intelligent!

Thanking you muchly!

Fifi xx
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

If you plug the headphones into a stereo, do they work then? (i.e. is there a problem with the headphones themselves?)
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

erm, you didn't try to plug the headphone jack into the microphone socket did you? You may simply have to replace the speaker jack with the headphones jack unless your soundcard supports both inputs and have the software facility to mute speakers when the headphones are plugged in (as the Creative Soundblaster cards do!).
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Open the window first!

5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

1 - Test the headphones on something you know works - establish that they work
    2 - Ensure you are plugging the headphones into the Headphone socket on teh Dell - as Brassneck suggests - and NOT the Mic input.
    3 - Sometime, there's a mute button/key combination on your PC. Check you haven't set that as muted
    4 - Have you turned the volume up on the PC...? If you are using say iTues, ensure the volume slider is up
    5 - Even if you have the volume slider up in your music player (iTunes/WinAmp, Media Player) - the system volume itself may be set too low.

There's a few things to check Fi.

Good luck.