Anybody any good at biology??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Apr 17, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Hiya folks,

being a typical student I have left the resub of my biology essay to the last minute, but its only because I don't actually understand what I've got to do :tongue:

I have two question to complete they are:

make links between the structure and function of bones and muscles

and

use examples to describe how exercise effects the muscles and skeleton

anybody got any ideas??
    and help would be good
    thanks
    fi
    xx

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    muscles
    resub
    biology essay
    typical student
    structure
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

What level are you studying?

4. meandmycornet

its kinda similar to a-level level buts its a BTEC course, any help at any level would be good though :)

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sparkly would be a good bet...

6. KMJ Recordings

You say it's a resub - what exactly went wrong the first time? Did they give you any pointers about what they were looking for?

7. meandmycornet

I didn't answer those two questions, no he didn't he just put "No evidence" extremely helpful :tongue:

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Obviously not if she's asking for pointers from tMP! :lol:

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

use examples to describe how exercise effects the muscles and skeleton

Could you say that excersice means that more water has to travel to the muscles?

10. KMJ Recordings

Here's a place to start for the structure and function of the skeleton, and here's a similar thing for muscle.

The question they're asking is how the construction of the structures helps it to achieve it's function (e.g. muscle cells high in energy releasing organelles, bone has high strength so it provides structural integrity etc).

Exercise and muscles - look up oxygen debt, glycolysis and the like. Don't know anything about exercise and the skeleton (apart from shock absorbtion of cartilage in joints) and my physio other half's asleep unfortunately.

Hope this gives you a starting point!

Keith

11. meandmycornet

thankyou for your help, but i'm afraid that may well be too high a level :(

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    muscles
    resub
    biology essay
    typical student
    structure
  13. KMJ Recordings

OK, let's bring it down a bit.

The main functions of the skeleton are:
    1) Support of the body
    2) Protection of some internal organs (e.g the ribcage protects the lungs)
    3) Contains and protects the red bone marrow (which is responsible for producing red blood cells which in turn is responsible for oxygen distribution throughout the body)
    4) Storage of inorganic salts (e.g. calcium).
    5) Some aspects of the skeleton allow mechanical function e.g. levers like your legs, and so facilitate movement.

Have a look in your textbooks for the structure of bones, and try and think how the structure links into those functions.

There are three types of muscle - voluntary, cardiac and smooth. You need to look in your book again at how they differ. The obvious one here is cardiac muscle, which is found in the heart. It responds to electrical impulses that allow it to contract on a regular basis (look up Purkinje Fibres). Voluntary muscle is the stuff used in movement, such that contraction and relaxation is under your control. Can't remember much about smooth muscle.

The previous poster was, to some extent, correct about exercise, muscle and water. Remember that to contract, muscles need energy which they get from the oxidation of glucose. If you don't get enough oxygen (so you're doing strenuous exercise) the glucose doesn't get fully oxidised and you start to produce lactic acid. It's this that produces cramp. At this point you're said to be in oxygen debt and it takes time for the body to get in the oxygen in to break down the lacti acid - which is why it takes time for cramp to go away. I think that muscle is the only tissue that allows this kind of respiration.

Look up the function of cartilage - it acts as a shock absorber to stop bones from rubbing into each other....

Sorry - I just reread some of the links and they were a bit highbrow!

Is this any better?

Keith

14. meandmycornet

thankyou keith, thats better, i think i'm gradually starting to understand now!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

How about "The toe bone's connected to the foot bone . . . "?

;)

HorniKaz likes this.
  16. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The other thing to keep in mind is that bones are somewhat porous. I think you'll find that this actually makes them more protective than if they were solid all the way through, much like (at least in the States), holloe conrete bricks are used for larger buildings.

17. KMJ Recordings

Something else II just remembered - don't forget that exercise increases muscle bulk and bone density...

18. meandmycornet

If only I could write that and pass :tongue:

thankyou everyone for your help, I think I understand it now :)