Any Words of Wisdom??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassybabe, Aug 1, 2005.

1. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Hi everyone

I start my PGCE music on 12th september at MMU.
    I was just wondering if there are any music teachers out there with some words of wisdom.
    I'm really excited about teaching, but petrified at the same time.
    Any hints or tricks of the trade will be much appreciated. :D

Elaine xxx
  2. vonny

vonny Member

Hi Elaine!

I also begin my pgce at The University of Bolton in September. and like you i am a bit nervous... I have done some teaching practice before though and i remember being really scared, but i found that once i got into the teaching etc, it wasn't as scarey as i initially thought it would be. My friend did his pgce at MMU, and he throughly enjoyed it - even though there were many challenges along the way. He used to say to me i can't believe how much work we have to do, and i could tell just by looking at him that he was stressed. I said to him once when he was feeling particulary stressed, just think about those times when you will make a difference to someone's life through music, and went on to say there will be times when you feel like giving up, times when you feel so over-joyed that you can't wait to go back. It's at those times when you realise that the gift of music is something you want to give to others!

All the best,

Yvonne :)
  3. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I've just graduated as a teacher - make sure you have plenty of resources saved up for those nights when you need quick resources because your too busy with assignments. If you are well organised you will get through it fine. Don't be nervous!! If you need any help or advice then pm me.
  4. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Thanks guys!!!!!!

Keep it coming! :D
  5. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

When I first started on teaching practice I was terrified of the first couple of lessons, and thought it must be obvious, but apparently it wasn't. Remember that you're there because you know what you're talking about, and you have something to offer. You might think your legs are shaking but they probably can't tell! After you've got through the initial nerves, it'll become much easier. It does happen quickly.
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If you can't be put off from doing it, and I would seriously not recommend it as a profession these days, then:

Despite all the stupid, irrelevant and ridiculous paper work you'll have to do during your teaching practice and your NQT period, just grin and bear it.
    Listen to the experienced classroom teachers and not your idiot ITT mentor, who has probably not had a real class in 20 years.
    Be honest and sincere with your dealings with the kids - they are not the problem.
    Lie like hell to the ITT mentor, the college and the stupid and unholy parents you might come across.
    Talk to your colleagues, don't be frightened to stand up for yourself and just nake sure the kids are your focus.

Take part in school activities where your workload allows. That always looks good.

Discuss potential problems with your subject mentor before they occur - but don't leave the solution up to them. Be proactive.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but parents are generally the last people you should discuss anything about their child with. It is very rare to actually meet a parent who could even recognise their own child in a classroom situation. And when you have problems with a child, you can usually see why if you meet the progenitor(s). (I use that word in an attempt not to use the word parent - not just because I just remembered it ;))

Oh, BTW. If people might generally describe you as a 'character' in real life. Please bury it deep until you have completed your probation. These days 'colourless and blair-ite' is the new black - if you see what I mean. Once you start teaching properly, you can be as much a character as you like. I have seen so many creative people fall beside the way because they were too 'colourful' in their early days.

The old adage about not smiling until Christmas is really true. Take it from me. Teaching is not a popularity contest. Don't fall into the trap of wanting the kids to like you. That will come in time if you are any good. If you are too relaxed at first it is far harder to pull back later and the kids will walk all over you. If you are strict, you can always relax a bit later. The kids will respect you for it.

Also, you need to become very organised. The amount of rubbish you have to collect in initial TT is ridiculous. You need a piece of paper every time you go to the toilet and you have to justify your visit in educational terms.

Finally, please don't become a 'career' teacher. At the end of the day, it is the education of the children that's important. If your career is more important to you than that, go and do something else.
  7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I remeber my teacher training well, jolly good fun but very hard work!!! Why dont you have a gander at the Teachers tv website, lots of interesting video clips on there aimed at new teachers! Give it a whirl may help ease your worries!