Any weekend Gypsies out there?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BigHorn, Mar 22, 2006.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

As I rapidly approach middle age and while the kids are still young enough, I've done the unthinkable and bought myself a caravan :eek:

Appologies to anybody who is caught behind me this summer as I crawl down narrow roads and up hills.

Anybody else out there with similar anti-social tendencies?
    Any recommendations for good sites?
    Any tmp members in the Caravan and Camping club band that I've seen at the Whits?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Gypsies
    Camping
    caravan
    Whits
    kids
  3. julestools

julestools Active Member

Borrow a 20 foot motorhome off the parents twice a year for holls. Considered getting a van but get theirs for nothing so why bother. They just got a new one this year. Went to Ireland last year in the old one. Can get cramped with wife and kids but always take a small tent just in case

xx

Jules (my car would not look good towing a van)

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I understand that is one of the great joys of caravanning. You always have an open road in front of you - because everybody else is stuck in a queue behind! :biggrin:

I've always fancied doing this - but my car isn't big enough to tow a van and I have nowhere to store it when it isn't being used anyway! However, one day I too aspire to be sad! ;) The attraction of just hooking up the van and heading off is very attractive!

5. julestools

julestools Active Member

I "look after" 5 caravans in my yard for people who have no space, one of which has not moved in two years. Never seem to get time to take weekends away though.

xx

Jules

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

There are at least four players at Kippax who own touring caravans
    (Including me) - It's a great life on the road !
    - Wilky

7. rutty

rutty Active Member

What do you mean "approach"? ;)

8. Di

Di Active Member

*waves hands*

Me, me, I have a touring van. As for sites, it really depends on what you're looking for. We're members of the Caravan Club and have used mostly the 5 van certified locations. This gives you piece and quiet and relative privacy, but facilities are obviously limited. Have used a couple of the big club sites which have the toilet/shower blocks, electrics, site shop etc, but these tend to be rather pricey. Alternatively, there are the licensed sites which run to bars, night life, entertainment, sports, swimming pools etc. As I say, it really depends what you're looking for in a site.

For the last few years we've bitten the bullet and driven down to the west coast of France with the van. The ferry is pricey for car and caravan, especially the St Malo route, but with the caravan and drive yourself, you have much more freedom to come and go as you please.

9. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Just a little note, especially to Di. I never go to St Malo due to the cost but always go with Brittany Ferries via Caen (Ouistreham). If you catch the afternoon sailing from Portsmouth Brittany Ferries will pay to put you up in Camping Les Hautes Couteures in Benouville only about ten minutes from the ferry terminal.....it's a great site, large pitches and close to the main road. You can have a good nights sleep and carry on your journey refreshed. I spend about a month (due to generous teachers holidays) on the west coast of France every year, I stay at Les Ecureuils at Jard-sur-mer near Les Sables des Olonne every year and highly recommend it. Although I don't own a caravan...still young enough to enjoy a tent we had a touring caravan when I was younger and I caught the bug!!I know plenty of places on the Atlantic coast if you ever want to run them by me, the place just offers the right balance in travel and climate when you get there, couldn't really be bothered to drive to the Med. I must admit I camp in style...electric, recliners, fridge, bike, canoe etc but I still fel I am some time off buying a caravan......although that time may come sooner than I think. Sorry if I have taken this rather off topic but I thought I had some relevant points to bring up.

If on the Atlantic coast this year take a look at La Tranche, St Vincent, Jard-sur-mer and Les Sables.......great places for a holiday and not too far to drive either. Also check out prices on the new LD Lines from Portsmouth to Le havre.....they promise to be cheap this year I believe.:tup

10. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

After vandals burnt my caravan I invested in a trailor tent and I love it. We have loads of room and go camping most weekends. Last year we took our tent to Whit Friday Marches and stayed at a campsite about 10 minutes away from tmp hotel

11. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Next time you lot are down Somerset way. My drive could do with Tarmacing. ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Gypsies
    Camping
    caravan
    Whits
    kids
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Bunch of wussy half-assed pretend campers. Get a tent. Half way up the Pennines in a freezing gale. And don't talk to me about Skye...
    BMB
    xx

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

A tent?? And there's you claiming to be Posh on another thread. Posh people don't camp! :cool:

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Of course we do. We just have the butler put the tent up.
    BMB
    xx

16. Di

Di Active Member

We've done both the St Malo route and the Cherbourg route. Jeepers, getting up and down that peninsula to Cherbourg is a pain! Did look at going via Caen this year, but there was a Caravan Club offered free caravans on Brittainy Ferries. :)

And you don't stop too far from us. We're just inland a little from Les Sables at Apremont.

Ah, bring on the summer. :) Can't wait.

17. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

we much prefer our tent! its great to get away and you don't end up holding up the traffic like you caravaners!!!

18. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

So where's the fun in that? :rolleyes: ;)

19. super_sop

lol excellent point!!!! im off to buy a carravan!!!:tongue:

20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

You know it makes sense. :tongue:

And what's more, you won't have to wrestle with putting the tent up in a howling gale / thunderstorm / blizzard! You can just step out of the car, wind down the legs to stabilise it, and by the time you've done that the kettle's boiled and you can have a cup of tea! :clap:

21. super_sop

another good point although, when it comes to price, i'd rather pay 200 quid for a tent than a couple of grand for a carravan. and just were do you keep a caravan when all you have is a terraced house! much easier to just pack it all up into a cupboard.:tongue:

22. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Well, Julestools was saying earlier in the thread he stores caravans for people - he's not too far away from you :tongue:

You can get caravans for 200 quid too, but they tend not to be at the luxury end of the market...:(