Any Vegetarian's??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chris Sanders, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Im cooking for, and trying to impress, my girlfriend on Wednesday evening, so I was just wondering if anyone has any vegetarian idea's/recipe's...

Im not bad in the kitchen, I generally only make simple things though such as Pasta Salad or Chilli.

Im VERY Carnivorous, and all the things I usually cook are meat based.

She's just getting over Tonsillitus, and has a slightly swollen throat, so preferably nothing to rough in texture if possible please...

Thanks

Mr. S.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    S.
    Chilli.
    Im VERY Carnivorous
    size
    simple things
  3. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

How about veggie lasagne? Am not veggie myself, but have cooked this for veggie friends in the past.

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

[​IMG]
    How about this?

5. Chris Sanders

With Quorn??

I thought about getting those Linda McCartney meals... But I dont want to cheat...

Ive put it off for long enough now... I have been trying to take her out for meals...

6. Chris Sanders

Might do soup for a starter... Cheers... But not Tomato though...

I'll get something with a bit more flavour...??

7. Chris Sanders

Plus, if anyone could suggest a wine to compliment the meal it would be fantastic, thanks. I like dry wines, usually drink red, Shiraz or Merlot.

I have a bottle of the Jacobs Creek, Merlot in, but I would probably have that with something like a Canneloni...??
    :confused:

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Calorie-Ridden Mediterranean Bake (Possibly veggie moussaka)
    Need: for 4 people
    2 large onions
    3 tsp Sugar
    2 bags grated Mozzarella
    1 small Aubergine (optional - I don't like them)
    4/6 Courgettes - (use more if not using aubergines)
    2 tins tomatoes
    Olive oil
    Flour
    2/3 Eggs - beaten
    Method:
    Chop up onions and fry them with some oil and sugar until they caramelise N.B. Do NOT let them burn.
    Once nicely caramelised add tinned tomatoes and leave to infuse.
    Slice courgettes and aubergines as thick/thin as you like.
    Dip sliced veg into beaten egg, then into flour and fry them lightly on both sides. Don't do too many at once and leave them to drain.
    Get large oven-proof casserole dish and layer the ingredients: tomato/onion mix, vegetable fritters, mozzarella etc. until all used up, ending with a layer of mozzarella on top.
    Eat it.
    BMB
    xx

9. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

No, I've not tried it with quorn. I made a cheese one I found on the side of a lasagne packet, but have also done them with lots of different layers of veg (different peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc) instead of the meat.

By the way, don't forget to use veggie cheese!
    And apparently some butters etc use fish oil (I didn't let on to my veggie friends that's what I'd used when I found that one out:oops: )

10. Chris Sanders

Cheers. Two great suggestions.

I think I'll do this one the Lasagne on wednesday... She doesnt bother about dairy products, just actual meat and fish itself... So normal cheese will be fine...

I'll do BMB's next time she's round..

Thanks

Mr. S.

11. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Soya mince is pretty good for a chili or a bolognese, but do add a little olive oil for texture.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    S.
    Chilli.
    Im VERY Carnivorous
    size
    simple things
  13. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

For dessert try this chocolate pie

base
    8oz Digestive biscuits
    5oz butter

topping
    1/2 pint milk
    1oz sugar
    1oz plain flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons corn flour
    2 eggs
    1oz butter
    4oz plain chocolate
    2teaspoons brandy or other liqeur (baileys or dooleys is good)
    icing sugar

line a flan tin with cling film or foil. crush the digestives into crumbs. Melt the butter and mix together. press into base of tin and chill for at least an hour until set. in a bowl whisk sugar, flour, corn flour and eggs together. heat milk. stir into sugar mix. Put back in pan and stirring or whisking constantly cook until thick. Add brandy, butter and chocolate and stir in until chocolate is melted and mixture is thick and glossy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes the pour onto base and put in fridge to set for at least two hours. Just before serving remove from tin and dust with icing sugar

14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Most veggies like me get totally cheesed off with lasagne - it's the sort of thing restaurants give you because they can't think of anything else.

Why not try something different like, maybe curries - quorn or vegetable, omelette, there are loads of egg dishes you can do, canneloni, pizza, pasta bake (you can put almost anything you like in these).

Couscous, avocado (if you like them) tofu, I could go on, just to make it look like you've thought about it.

15. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

roasted vegetable tart or vegeatble crumble, both easy and quick to make and taste loverrrrrly, especially with balsamic vinegar drizzled around the edge of the tart mmmmm