Any tMPers knowledgeable about cars?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

I've just got my car out from 5 months of hibernation. All was well (had to jump start the battery) and its run fine for about a week.:rolleyes:

I had got to the end of my road when suddenly the electrics cut out completely in the car but the engine kept running. I switched off the engine and tried to restart the car but while it turned over, it didnt ignite.:(

SO....does anyone out there have a possible inkling of what could be wrong?

I'm thinking possibly the ignition spark?:confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to go to some rip off mechanic who makes 'ooo that sounds severe luv' whistling noises and charges me a fortune for what may be a simple thing such as a loose wire!

Please help. thank you all!:)
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You've either got a flat battery and the alternator isn't charging it, or you've got a dead cell in the battery.
  3. andyp

andyp Active Member

When you say "the electrics cut out completely in the car but the engine kept running", you mean all the lights, wipers, etc died but not the engine?

Is it a diesel? Cos they can run without electrics (ignition is by compression not sparks).

Sudden lack of electrics sounds like a major fuse blown, as it turns over the battery must be reasonably OK. Or the engine management computer has died (which is sucks through teeth gonna costya territory).
  4. cookie101880

cookie101880 Member

What car is it? I run a SEAT franchise and can try and find out as much as possible with just a few details

5. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

They have wheels, they run on explosive stuff, sometimes you have to pour various liquids into them if you can find out how to open the bonnet (something which regularly defeats me) and when they go wrong you call in the pit crew.
    Oh and mine is a pretty red one with a butterfly on it.
    My pit crew have never yet sucked their teeth at me but one of them did once say "Oh god not you again" when I took the previous car in. ;)
    You want more than that? Best ask a man. I'm only a little girly and don't know my big end from my drive shaft.
  6. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

That's about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard BMB! Leave this stuff to the men ;-)
  7. barrytone

barrytone Member

Sounds like your alternator to me. When the alternator went on my 12 year old Volvo, all my electrics worked but it wouldn't start, in fact the instrument panel lit up like a Christmas tree!

It was very complicated though because the alternator did give out some charge intermitently so until the alternator packed up completely, the garage couldn't manage to find the fault.

If you live in or near Bradford, I can recommend an excellent garage where I take my car. Never been as well looked after as it is now and they give you honest, gargonless answers to any questions you have. I know it's easy to be wary of taking your car to a garage for fear they will use your lack of knowledge to take advantage of you; which is why I heartily recommend the garage I use. Pm me if you want details.
  8. Robhibberd29

If it is the alternator you may be lucky and only have to replace the brushes because they can be quite pricy things
  9. bigmamabadger

Oooh you big masterful thing you! I swoon at your manliness...:tongue:
    Badger - come over all peculiar surrounded by so much testosterone.
  10. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Yes they suddenly cut out but the engine didnt and a friend also suggested it might be a fuse so I'm gonna check them all tmrw. No, its not a diesel, tis a petrol. The car is a 97 peugeot 306 miami.

When I turn the ignition it IS turning over but not lighting. Also things like lights, hazard warning arent working which may suggest a fuse blowout. Im hoping its not one of those costme thingys!
  11. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

In fact its the other way round! it turns over when i turn the ignition but doesnt start up and some of the electrics dont work. No christmas tree panels for me!:tongue:

I do live near enough to make a trip to bradford but I have a garage here that may be able to help me. If not I'll give u a pm and thanks for the advice!
  12. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

and THANKS :clap: to all people who have given advice!!!!! :biggrin:
  13. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I had exactly that problem with my peugeot 106, I called the RAC out just for them to tell me it was a blown fuse.

There should be some spare fuses by the fuse box and it will probably just be a case of finding the one for the electrics (which also powers the ignition!) and swapping it like for like with one of the spares!

The fuse layout should be in your manual, or available at your local library!

Hope you get your car sorted soon.
  14. bigmamabadger

If you do the fuses yourself, or get a mate to do it, just be careful to remove the correct fuse(s).
    Being lazy I fluttered my eyelashes at a little Halfords chappie and he offered to change a blown fuse in my Volvo.
    He then managed to disconnect the radio and I had to ring the original dealer to try and find a code for it...
    There, that was sort of helpful in a girly kind of way, no?
  15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Your starter motor is turning but you're not getting a spark to fire the ignition. The spark requires high voltage juice provided by the alternator. All you're doing with turning it over is draining the last dregs out of the battery. Could be an HT lead or a sparkplug but your other symptoms still make me plump for the alternator as the first place to start looking. Have you tried jump starting it either with jump leads or with a push from some helpful blokes?
  16. Robhibberd29

So we like being mastered do we?

I am the master..........(I'm not that big headed just like my cheesy Star Wars quotes)

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

Deffo sounds like a fuse. Bear in mind though fuses usually blow for a reason!
    If the ignition's gone it'll likely be a big one (30A) some cars have the engine ones and the others separate, engine ones near the battery and the others in the dashboard fuse box.
    May be having been sat for 5 months the fuse has got damp/rusty and a new one could be OK - hope so!
  18. bigmamabadger

Oooh, chase me, chase me. :tongue:
    But you got to be well fast to catch the badger. Many have tried and many have fallen down the cunningly placed bear-trap.