Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Trinnie, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Trinnie

Trinnie New Member

Can anyone suggest what I can do to combat having a dry mouth when I play my instrument. The situation gets worse when I play in concerts or competitions, I know this is probabally linked to nerves. However any suggestions would be gratefully recieved.
    Thanks. :)
  2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

This is quite common - I remember reading some suggestions from Bob Childs (I think) in the Bandsman some years ago.

I think some of his suggestions were taking a lemon quarter on stage and sucking it so that it stimulates salivation. Another option was tying a wet sponge to your instrument and taking a suck when you need one - although if you are going to do that you'd be better off taking a bottle of water IMO! :rolleyes:

The lemon sounds like a good idea - I've never tried it because I tend to have the opposite problem!
  3. robcav

robcav Member

A former cornet playing colleague had had one of his saliva glands removed and consequently suffered similar problems. His solution was to take one of those lemon shaped jif lemon juice containers on stage and have a quick squirt when he was drying up. A number of players seem to use chewing gum but I wouldn't risk it.
  4. I have heard that gently biting your tongue will start the salivation process.....
  5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I was told by Andy Berryman that if you crush a polo mint into powder and leave the powder on your stand or in your pocket then every time you feel a bit of dryness coming on you just lick your finger, dab it in the powder, swill it around the mouth a bit and the saliva re-appears. He swears by it.
  6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

When I was growing up, Ernie Appleyard gave us a load of useful tips about things like this:

For dryness you don't need a real lemon. Just think about it and you start slavering;

For too much saliva, think about strong mints and that 'clagging' feeling they generate and there you go.
    Saves a fortune in buying stuff if you use your imagination ;)

He also suggested wetting your earlobes if you were too hot, but I can't remember his tip if you were too cold. Maybe he didn't have one, 'cos if you are too cold you aren't working hard enough! :)
  7. Horco

Horco Member

One I remember was bend your tounge to the roof of your mouth and bite gently then slowly the saliva will start flowing again.
  8. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Anybody who sees me playing will comment on the amount of water I consume whilst playing (I have no shame in taking my water bottle on stage :)). As well as being naturally good for you, it always helps keep my mouth wet; I know all too well how frustrating it is to have a dry mouth on stage.
  9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I always take water with me, rehearsal, concert or contest, doesn't matter. I use one of the plastic 'Runners' type bottles, as it hooks nicely onto the stand.
  10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i find take a bottle of water on stage with you take as much on board as you can when you get your bars rest .
    It works for me .
    I only use it at contests though as i do dry up at contests, concerts dont effect me
  11. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I found taking a bottle of water on stage and in the water mix a small amount of lemon juice. Just enough that to can taste a hint of it and that is enough to start the glands salivating.

Another one is to use Rescue remedy. It acts like a beta blocker but is a natural remedy. 1 or 2 drops on your tongue and it helps control the nerves but without it drying up your mouth
  12. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

A chap I once knew swore by eating a tomato before going on stage to combat dryness, never tried it yself tho, eww tomatoes!
  13. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

Tried the chewing gum once when I was playing sop...... wouldn't recommend it, I managed to give myself a nosebleed and nearly blasted both eardrums out while hitting a ff top b. Not to mention it took ages to get the gum out of the mouthpiece shank :-?
  14. ballyhorn

ballyhorn Member

Lick your fingers and wipe them behind your the dimple behind the lobe...
  15. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I'm on medication for high blood pressure problems so a "cotton wool" mouth on stage is a regular occurrence for me. However I discussed this problem yesterday with a pharmacist at Boots who recommended Glandosane which is a synthetic saliva and provides quick relief of dryness of the mouth. It cost me £7.90 for a 50ml spray. I haven't been in a situation yet to state whether it works or not but I will let u know after the Swansea regionals.
  16. barrytone

barrytone Member

Make sure you're well hydrated before you take to the stage, you'll be sweating out alot of the extra water you took on board. Take water on stage, bottle with a pull out top is excellent as you don't need to take top off during performance to take a drink. Take water into your mouth and swill it round inside before swallowing, thus maximising the rehydration potential.

My friend always chews gum when she plays, says it helps her salivate, and I've never known her to dry up. I wouldn't dare, would be too frightened of swallowing it or spitting it down my mouthpiece! Can vouch that the water works though!
  17. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

I had the same problem a few years ago and have found that gently biting my tongue does the trick.
  18. harri_bari

harri_bari New Member

Tried this at the Yorkshire Area last week and it seemed to work. However, it may have had something to do with the bottle of water I'd had before going on stage.

Something I've found though is it's always good to have some water with you when you go on stage. Just having it there is comfort in itself and, believe it or not, you'll find you probably won't touch a drop whilst playing. Think it just goes to say that "dry mouth syndrome" is probably one of those "in your head" things.

Hope this helps...
  19. cornetkate

cornetkate Member

My friend always says that eating tomatoes increases saliva in the mouth. Don't know if it works as I've never tried it :confused: