Any suggestions for BBb Bass slow melody contest pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

Hi

I looking to enter a local slow melody contest with the Bbb Bass. Can anyone suggest some suitable pieces that I may play for such contest (with piano accomp). :?: :oops: :?

2. Drew

Drew New Member

The Swan was once arranged for EEb bass & band. However, if I remember correctly there was a transposed part for BBb on the reverse of the solo part. It may even have a copy for piano as well.

If you fancy something a bit more 'chesey' the same was done not so long ago for Londonderry Air!

3. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Yes, I can recall the Swan being used many a times in bass events down here. It's very pretty. Also, have a look at the final movement of the Effie Suite. Very Lyrical!!! :D

4. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

There is a piece called the Iceberg, which gets used sometimes..

Enjoy..

5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

The iceberg I know is a Tenor clef trom air varie.......

6. jpbray

jpbray Member

Many thanks to all who have replied; I have now got one or two options and a feel for what is required. I have located The Swan on the net and have also considered Ol' Man River. :D

7. Am I ME?

Am I ME? Member

Hi Someone mentioned the solo THE ICEBERG I'm searching for it as a Eb Bass Solo. Has anyone got any idea where I can buy it or who publishes it!! Any suggestions GREATLY APPRECIATED I have a thread on here titled THE ICEBERG or you can email me at
    am_i_me@hotmail.co.uk
    Thank you
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    ROZ DAWSON
    Eb Bass Shanklin Town Brass Band

8. i dont think you can get it anymore , because when i wanted it a few years ago the only copy i could find was a hand written one on ebay

i tried searching everywhere but couldnt find it ,

9. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

The Iceberg? I'm sure that's on the NYBB audition list for basses, maybe if you contact Philip Biggs he might be able to find out if it's still published!

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Although its a Bass Trombone Solo , Our Eb Bass player played

Wandering Star last night at a concert, if your band have got it you could always re write it out for Bb Bass.
    Its only a idea for you, but it does sound good on Bass

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    melody contest pieces
    pieces
    melody contest
    anyone
    Bbb Bass
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Why not look further afield and transcribe some double bass solo? (... or something from the orchestral solo repertoire that you like and think is suitable)

... here's a start for U http://www.free-scores.com/index_uk.php3

13. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Song for Ina? It's a euph solo.. but very pretty!! Don't know how high BBb basses normally play... that goes up to a top C..

14. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

15. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Ermmm my brother played the iceberg on baritone when he was small if thats any help :tongue: which means I have a copy of it! If your really desperate and can't get hold of a copy anyway PM me and I'll see what I can do!

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How about "Una Furtiva Lagrima" (Gaetano Donizetti, arr. Steve Sykes) ??

or "Chanson de Matin" (Edward Elgar) ??

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You can find a copy of the sheetmusic for the Donizetti under link below (on left, follow Sheetmusic - Antique editions/ Classic Composers/ voice voc 2/ Donizetti Una Furtiva Lagrima and click on the PDF box to save a piano reduction). Transpose parts as deemed necessary to carry the song for the BBb bass! :)

http://www.rowy.net/

post-edit:- there is a large selection of operatic arias and instrumental solos that could be suitably used on this site alone ... happy hunting!

18. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

It's unaccompanied [and in Bass Clef], and completely throws the person introducing the solos, but no.20 from Vladislav Blazhevich's 70 studies for BBb Tuba is a lovely Tuba slow melody which has served me well in the past.

19. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

The Salamander - Forrest Buchtel

20. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Dont do it !!!!!!!!

21. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye let the one lung model glory boys do the solos......dont be silly man.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    melody contest pieces
    pieces
    melody contest
    anyone
    Bbb Bass