Any Skiers about?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JessopSmythe, Nov 12, 2007.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I'm planning a family skiing trip over the winter and, having never been before, need to stock up on ski wear for me and my 4 year old. I've got a fair idea of what I need but could do with some pointers on where to get it. Any suggestions for brands / shops to go for or to avoid?[/FONT]

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Never been before eh! - can I recommend . . . . .

Bandages and Elastaplast - Boots the Chemist
    Splints - Jewsons or Travis Perkins
    Crutches - Available from your local A&E
    Woolly hat and fingerless gloves - Matalan

[​IMG]

Have fun!

;)

3. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Provided they're doing it this year Marks and Spencers sell fantastic ski wear!

If there's a Costco near you then if it's stock is like ours at avonmouth they are selling tresspass ski outfits in male and female versions!

Try www.mandmdirect.com there's a little bit on there nice and cheap however there's limited stock so not all sizes!

Freespirit sell lots of ski stuff

Or for the biggest range of clothing, although it will be slightly dearer your best bet is snow and rock.

tkmaxx sometimes have stuff also!

Hope this helps

chris

4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Find a place that hires it. John Pollocks do (but I don't know if they are a National Chain.) No point in spending out on kit that you may not use again.

Also, you don't really need all the trendy gear. A decent waterproof walking/climbing type jacket and some waterproof overtrousers ( with a couple of pairs of Jog bottoms) will do the job just as well. Then if you get hooked you can buy the kit in the after season sales.

5. Scongie

Scongie Member

In my opinion this is not good advice. Buy tidy gear, doesn't have to be stupidly expensive, otherwise if you get a bad day on the weather front you'll be sorry.

See link below to the ski warehouse. I've bought quite a bit of gear from here previously. The one thing I would ivnest in as a beginner is a decent set of goggles. helmets for children, and adults, in my opinion are a must.

http://www.skiwear4less.com/

6. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I got a load of my gear at TKMaxx, I was probably there on the 'right' day as I got a load of Columbia stuff very very reasonably and picked up a good pair of gloves too. May be worth checking it out. As is said in the above post, I would definately buy the stuff you need making sure its the correct stuff. Get some decent socks! I find its all about layers!

Have you had any thoughts about a resort/country to go to yet? Personally I really like Switzerland......especially Wengen and the surrounding villages.

I hope you enjoy it!!:biggrin:

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well we'll have to differ then. I always hire the gear (and on site as a rule). Buy your own gloves and glasses though. If you like it and intend to go often then that is the time to spend out.

And if we are giving recommendations on venues, try Canada. Great skiing and with English spoken everywhere, Eh! :cool:

8. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

wen i went skiing i got alot of my stuff from tkmaxx, very good prices would definatly reccomend it. and the italian alpes have some very good slopes

9. leisa

leisa Active Member

the big ski slope in trafford opens at weekend they have all the ski shops in so you could prob get everything you need there, plus it sounds like a good day out, it snows all the time there...

10. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

On the point of places to go i've been to:

Winter Park, Usa
    Tremblant, Canada
    La Plagne, France
    Courmayeur, Italy
    Bad Gastein, Austria

I'd recommend any of these places but in particular Winter Park.

I learnt to ski here and after one day in ski school we were moving on to the first basic steps of parallel skiing!

The teaching is fantastic and they all speak english obviously and this is such a huge bonus when learning to ski!

Chris

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    FONT=Verdana
    Arial
    Helvetica
    SIZE
    FONT