Any sax players here?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dave_cornet, Jul 8, 2004.

1. dave_cornet

dave_cornet New Member

As my name suggests, Im a cornet player...but Ive recently started playing Alto Sax, just to broaden my musical ability. Are there any sax players here. Do you have any problems switching from sax to brass?
    Thanks
    Dave

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My situation is the opposite to yours, in that I started as a sax player, adding brass in my teens. In general I don't have problems switching from one to the other, although if playing both in the same programme I like a bit of time for the embouchure to adjust - a couple of times I've been asked to play a sax item immediately after playing BBb bass for a march, which is not really fair :shock:

You'll find there are a few woodwind players on here - Naruco (sax) and Hilary Matear (clrinet) spring to mind.

3. jambo

jambo Member

I shouldn't think it would be aproblem, at least it worked fine for Alan Morrison :?

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean Alan or James, the Australian multi-instrumentalist?

5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I found it awkward on my back jaw when playing alto, but when I switched to tenor and bari, I was fine. Likewise with clarinet. So I'd say I just have a natural tennancy for lower instruments.

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I dont have any problems going between brass and woodwind at all...
    You're using 2 completly different techniques... brass- upper lip; woodwind- lower lip

;-)

7. James morisson is a freak :shock:

8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

But have you watched him (not just listened, or heard him talk about) go from tuba pedals to that fantastic range? It's just good technique. That being said, imagine the headache he'd get with air resistance issues!!

9. wideiusgrinnius

wideiusgrinnius New Member

Can you not read man?? I'm sure it says Alan.

10. dave_cornet

dave_cornet New Member

Thanks all...thats a relief (as ive just bought a sax). I was going to switch to tenor eventually but i think that will cause problems (as im a cornet player...playing tenor is prob like playing euphonium and cornet...which I do anyway.
    Dave

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Im
    Ive
    Alto Sax
    Dave
    sax players
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather! I got the impression you played the 'dave'!

;-) :lol: :lol: (only joshin!)

13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

why would it cause problems?
    If you can adjust your embourchour (sp!!) between lower and upper brass you can do anything..... as it were.... :lol:

14. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

Hi there!

I've been playing all 4 (normal!) saxes now for about 3 years off and on. People always told me it would be detrimental to the brass playing, but I thinks thats rubbish.

Playing sax tends to exercise the jaw muscles a lot more, so at first this will hurt!! The upper lip is redundant (just an air seal) whilst the lower lip is certainly not impaired brass wise (as it where).

However, I tend to stick to tenor and bari. Alto and sop tend to tire the face very quickly!!!

Good luck :D

P.S. If anyone out there has a cheap contra bass sax they want to sell, give me a ring :wink:

15. jambo

jambo Member

I mean Alan of current Brighouse standing.

He's also a tidy hand on the sax and used to play in his dads big band. :wink:

16. louise0502

louise0502 Member

My sister plays tenor horn and tenor sax and is improving mega fast on both (may overtake me if i don't get a move on!) and she just started playing the oboe too!

So basically, i agree with everyone else - no probs!

17. dave_cornet

dave_cornet New Member

Thanks all
    Dave - Cornet/trumpet/euphonium/ALTO SAX player