Any plumbers????

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jun 5, 2005.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Right this is a tad embarrasing but I think I should ask just to shut my mum up! I had a shower about half an hour ago (its sunday!) and when I came out of the bathroom my mum was squealing downstairs "there's a drip, there's a drip" it was slightly more than a drip, water was coming out from around the light fitting in the hallway!! Naturally I got the blame as I had just had a shower (its an over the bath type shower and I had the curtain shut!) but could there be a leak somewhere in the water system?? Anybody got any ideas??
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

If there is a leak in the existing pipework it will still be dripping through the light fitting. Although I would presume it's something to do with you just having a shower! :rolleyes:
    Firstly, have you turned off the electricity - water and electric do not mix. :eek:

If the water has stopped dripping it would have been caused by you. So you either had water splashing out behind the shower curtain or you have a leak around the seal of the bath.

With the electric turned off - (that's important) you could test for leaks around the bath by removing the bath panel and running the shower head along the edge of the bath. You would then see any water running down behind the bath or again you might see water dripping from the light fitting. If that doesn't give you any leaks it would have probably have been caused by water splashing out behind the curtain which means everythings OK - except for a 'wet' light fitting.

If you have any doubts whatsoever, call your local plumber.

I know I've rambled on a bit here, but I hope the info is useful.

3. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

oooooh thank you roger, you are kind! I now though that I am too blame though :tongue: cos the dripping stopped ages ago!
  4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Don't worry about getting the blame...just wait til you have kids of your own then you can shout at them!

Its the natural order of life, the younger you are the more likely you'll get the blame for something going wrong
  5. NeilW

NeilW Member

If its an "over the bath" type shower, its normally the sealant between the bath and the tiles (wall). Sometimes it can be where the shower curtain acts a bit like a wick and manages to route water out over the edge of the bath. Had to redo one myself recently.

If the sealant looks "poor" - i.e. not well stuck anywhere - remove it: I normally use a sharp knife down bath and wall, but you can also get chemicals that do the job I believe. Fill the bath with water (causes it to flex the maximum away from the wall) and reseal it with new goo. I always find the sort that isn't water based (smells of vinegar!) sticks and works the best.

Other possibility if you can't be sure its the seal is that the waste is leaking. Seen that too. As Rog suggested, take the bath panel off and look.

Might be worth working out where the rose is below in the bathroom too...

Remember that in many installations, the light fitting will be live even if the (room) switch is off, as the supply goes to each rose in turn...

Take care - electric shocks with wet hands HURT (or worse!)

6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We have a similar careful when you're showering that you don't splash too much water onto the bit of the bath behind the taps. Obviously the shower curtain can't stop water getting to this bit of the bath and if there gets to be too much water there in our house it runs off the side of the bath and eventually comes through the ceiling in our downstairs back room. We started having to make sure that the shower curtain is stuck to the side of the inside of the bath right round to the taps to prevent water splashing there.

Hope that helps
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

If the shower has tile walls, it could also be getting into any imperfections in the grout (the stuff in between the tiles), particularly if the area is not too large. You'd be surprised how much water bounces off your body in a shower.