Any Photoshop experts out there...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Mar 6, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I am trying to find out how to do what I feel should be something very simple. I have a multi-layered image, and all i want to do is to be able to create a new image from an existing layer! Is this possible? if so, how do I do it pls?

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If its the CS2 version then make the layer you want active then use the marquee tool to copy the whole layer to the clipboard. Then file new, it should default to the last clipboard size. Then paste it in.

3. TheMusicMan

Thanks John, but doing this actually copies the contents of the marquee selection into a new flattened image, and not the layer complete with layer properties et al. I want to create a new image based on a layer if this is possible.

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Hmm, quickest way I can think of at present is to duplicate the entire psd file at OS level and then delete the layers you don't want from the duplicate within photoshop.

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

This might work (used to work in PS8 for Mac:confused: ):

With your existing document open create a new document and resize both windows to fit in your workspace. Then simply select the layer you want in your existing file and drag/drop it into your new file.

6. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Or you could just open the original image as normal, delete the layers you don't want, and do a 'Save As' with a new filename.

7. TheMusicMan

Sure, but I was hoping someone would advise me of a little documented feature I wasn't aware of - say one that allowed you to simply drag a layer into the workspace and automatically a new image canvas is created.... *sighs..... ah well, thanks for the comments folks.