Any one see the Antiques Roadshow last night?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Laserbeam bass, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

As usual, before my weekly pilgrimage to a fine hostelry where there is a good quiz :clap: there is naff all on the telly, so I am reduced to watching the Antiques Roadshow :oops:

A woman produces two Indian carvings that are believed to be Circa 2nd - 3rd Century AD. She quickly explains that they belonged to her father who had them valued in 1970 at The British Museum. After some small talk the expert tells her that they were originally part of a much larger work, and in a polite manner explains that there were removed without the owners permission. (Read nicked). The expert then goes on to tell the "owner" that having dome some digging on The British Museum website, that one of them called a kneeling Ghandari, was in fact an exhibit at the Museum, and was last seen in 1914. The woman is speechless for a while, and the bloke says,
    "Maybe you should write to The British Museum and let them know that they are in your possession"
    Her reply " I would really like to keep them" D'oh
    He says "I wouldn't as 6 million people know now that you own something that has been looted twice"

Certainly the First time and probably the last time that I will ever laugh at the Antiques Roadshow. Still whiled away a couple of minutes as Will The Sec turned up at the abode, and I rewound it ( on Sky+ ) so that he could enjoy the historic moment too.
  2. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Wish I'd seen that - I also love the face people make when the expert says "It's worth wbout £35" when they were hoping for £ squillions :p

It's sort of like "*Edit*.......Oops, smile, you're on the telly"
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2006
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I saw it, her face was a picture!
    Not sure what the British museum can do about it after all this time and seeing as she came by them innocently and in good faith.

maybe she should ask them to make her a reasonable offer.
  4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

A reasonable offer being to return them now and they'll not involve the courts? ;)

Seriously though, in the eyes of the law, stolen property is just that, wether you came by it innocently or not. Caveat Emptor.