Any of you tMPers a GRAPHIC DESIGNER??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rambo Chick, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi there

I am trying to find out about graphic design and where better than from someone who actually does it. ( I am searching other avenues as well) SOOOO.... if anyone is on here who is in Graphic Design or a similar field, I'd love to hear from you. A bit about what you do and what the job is like. :confused:

Thank you in advance.
  2. still learnin

still learnin Member

I'm not a graphic designer but I have been working with them for quite a while now in two different industries. In the past I was in consumer goods marketing. Leading up to an advertising campaign I would brief an agency on specific objectives that I wanted to achieve for my brands. The agency would go away and think about it and then come back to present their ideas to me. A lot of the messages would be created by a graphic designer who would listen to the verbal idea and turn it into an illustration that would leave a clear message in the mind of a potential consumer.

Part of my current role involves managing teams of people who bid for new work from potential clients. The client will ask all of the companies that are bidding for his business a range of question to help him/her decide who is best able to meet his/her needs. Sometimes the answer to a single question may take 2000 words (and there can be hundreds of questions during a bid that may last for three years) which is a bit dry and may lack impact impact. Our graphic designers are briefed to create pictures, flow charts, graphs or diagrams to grab the readers attention and summarise particularly important points that will clearly show how the idea that we are communicating will look or work. The GD will try to differentiate my company from our competitors

In both of the situations described above the graphic designer needs to be able to assimilate a lot of information quickly; they need to be creative to turn words into a picture and they have to work under a lot of pressure. At any one time the graphic designer could be working on multiple projects, each with a tight deadline for completion. Invariably last minute changes means that the GD has to tweak their work to match edits to the document or realignment of campaigns. That also mean being flexible and able to take feedback that varies dependent on who you are talking to and how they feel that your interpretation matches their needs.

The people that I know who work in that area seem to love it and thrive on the pressure. The good ones often end up working freelance and can be very well paid once they're established and have a good reputation.

Hope that helps a little.
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Mofman is I think.
  4. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Hi thanks for that - it does indeed help! :tup I'm trying to get an insight into the type of work they do and am considering doing it myself. Do you know if they need to be talented artists? This isn't actually a concern, I'm just curious. I really enjoy creating art work and drawing. Is that part of the job?
  5. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Thanks for that. I'll PM him if he doesn't mind. :)
  6. still learnin

still learnin Member

That really depends on the project, who's managing it, what they want to achieve and the confidence they have in the DG. Sometimes I'll just brief the GD, see what they come back with and then, if necessary, refine their work with them until it hits the spot. There are other times when I have a very specific brief and I'll give clear instructions on what should be done. Sometimes a GD will do exactly what I've asked... and then show me an alternative that they thought of which might be much better. Fine if they keep coming up with good ideas but annoying and a waste of money if they keep missing the mark.

It really varies a lot but creativity is rarely unhelpful, a good boss will create the right environment to allow talent to flourish (as long as everything is going according to plan!).