Any news of the Aylesbury contest?

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by James Yelland, Oct 14, 2005.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Does anyone have any news about a 2005 Aylesbury contest? Its usually around November/December time but I've seen nothing about it this year. Thanks in advance.

2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Whilst I've heard of the Aylesbury contest, I don't know anything about it.

What form is it? Is it full band, or solos/etc or what?

Its just quite local, that's why I'm interested.

Neil.

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Used to be an own choice test piece contest run by the Buckinghamshire Brass Band Association.

From what I remember, it was cancelled a couple of years ago due to a problem with getting the venue.

It was a good contest and seems a shame if it has disappeared for good.

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

They tried to ressurect it last year, and had a total of 8 bands enter over all four sections, thus it was cancelled and will probably stay that way.

5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Had a feeling that was what had happened.

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

That's a shame it was a nice venue. Last time I played there, we won! Can't remember which section though, 2nd or 3rd, probably.

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

We played there in the 2nd section, however when they cancelled it we went to Leicester instead, so when it was re-instated we had already entered and made plans to go to Leicester. That may have been the case with other bands, that they made arrangements for other contests.

It was a good venue and a well run contest, I am sure with enough notice bands in the south would support it gaain if resurrected.

8. lewis

lewis Member

Being from Aylesbury I played in the contest a couple of times as a kid and I was hoping very much to take my band there last year but as has already been said it was cancelled through lack of invitation. It really is a shame as the civic centre is a great venue for a contest, it doesn't have the greatest acoustic granted but there are two or three big sized rooms for warming up where you really can warm up as the sound doesn't travel to the main hall. If there are any people on here that have anything to do with Buckinghamshire banding I'm sure if the contest was really pushed to all the local bands it might work again. I'd be surprised if a couple of the champ bands from London wouldn't be interested as well as it really isn't that far away. There are a lot of us from Aylesbury and that area that are now involved in music and banding and I'd like to think we could come up with some way of helping promote the contest!

9. Chris Kirk

Chris Kirk Member

This was a contest we would always enter and a few years back we won the open section on consecutive years. Sadly, the contest would be the same weekend as the Leamington contest and as a result, the number of entries dropped considerably. A lot of bands are also in the build up to Christmas, and if like many others this is always the time to increase funding for bands.

As Lewis has said, they did try to resurrect the contest, but entries were to low to make it viable. I did suggest to the organisers some time ago, that they move the date to late January early February, as many bands many want to do a contest prior to the Area. I’m certain that we would enter, as it was always a well run contest.

I may be wrong, but the only contest anywhere near the L&SC in Jan/Feb is Yeovil?

Chris

Welwyn Garden City

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Butlins and the SCABA quartet contests are that time as well.

We did Aylesbury one year and have fond memories of it (2nd in the Open Section!) but I think the last year they ran it they kept changing the times. It's a shame they can't run it around June/July time as there are no contests that I'm aware of at that time in L&SC.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Aylesbury
    news
    Aylesbury contest
    November
    December time
  12. lewis

lewis Member

Chris you are so right. Last year we wanted to do a contest before the areas that was a test piece contest and we had to go all the way to ****** Preston! (before anybody rants yes it was a good day and we probably got an invitation to the Senior Trophy because of it but it was still a VERY long way to go in 1 day for a contest!). We should approach these people again because if they could do it in jan/feb i'm sure a few of the top london bands would be interested!

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

That's interesting, because the Oxford and District Brass Band Association Contest which is usually held in late Feb, early March hasn't been able to run for the last couple of years due to lack of entries! Maybe you know something we don't?! If we run it next year, would your band be interested in entering?

DaveR
    Contest Secretary,
    ODBBA

14. Chris Kirk

Chris Kirk Member

Generally I think some bands would like to do a contest before the area. I believe that late February early March would be okay, but I would imagine that most would play the area test pieces. This is certainly the case in the Midlands. Of course your association would need to agree this. Lewis mentioned that went all the way to Preston to play Rienzi?

Can I suggest that you send out a poll and see what response you get? Oxford is not that far to travel from Welwyn Garden City and by the sound of it Alliance would go too, although I can’t speak for them.

Chris

15. lewis

lewis Member

Oxford isn't that far but I would be much more interested in going to Aylesbury as it has personal ties.

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Good idea - I'll do that!! Thanks for the suggestion

DaveR

17. NeilW

NeilW Member

The Oxford *festival* is in early May. Its solos, duets, quartets, "ensembles" and percussion.

As far as I know there isn't a full band contest any more - it too got abandoned from lack of bands entering. I could, however, be completely wrong about that :)

We're planning to go up to Derby to give VoD a run-out next year before the areas as its the only "pre-area" that's reachable for us....

Neil.