Any new good cd's ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

hi all

i've let my brass cd collection get a bit out of date :eek:

any good cd's out in the last couple of years that are a must have ?

ta

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass cd collection
    new good cd
    date
    eek
    alli
  3. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

*PLUG ALERT*PLUG ALERT*PLUG ALERT*PLUG ALERT*PLUG ALERT*

The National Youth band CD is a good one, a nice range of music from next years masters test piece to jazzy trumpet screaming. it's a must buy

*PLUG OVER*PLUG OVER*

4. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Paul Lovatt-Cooper and Black Dyke's Walking with Heroes. I got it at the weekend and frankly it's flippin' brilliant

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It really depends what sort of stuff you're looking for!

For "serious" repertoire, I'd recommend Black Dyke's "Golden Year", "Vienna Nights" or "Music for Battle Creek" recordings , or Cory's "The Promised Land".

For something a little out of the ordinary, Wingates' "Nyman" recording and Foden's "New Music for Brass band" are both worth exploring.

Two excellent mixed programmes are Fairey's "It's not (un)usual)" and Brass band Buizingen's new "Cat's Tales".

You mention "a couple of years", but going back a bit further two Sellers' cds that give much enjoyment are "Celtic Connections" and "Somwhere in time", together with Whitburn's "Reflections of Freedom".

6. Veri

Veri Member

Yes, I agree with some of the above suggestions - Paul Lovatt Cooper cd is great, and Black Dyke's "Golden Year" and "Vienna Nights" are also must haves.

I also recommend Cory's "This Land of ours" for something a bit different - they play with a Welsh male voice choir on some of the tracks, and most of the stuff is arranged by Carl Jenkins.

Solo-wise, Richard Marshall's Eminence is really good.

7. You got to have "Tales and Stories" from Eikanger. The best CD of the new millenium...

8. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Aparently the 'New Music for Brass Band' CD is quite a 'heavy' listen (not heard it .... yet), so if that is what you're looking for......... However, 'Vienna Nights' by Dyke - that I do like, and would recommend, and the 'Music for Battle Creek' CD.

9. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

yeah i second this! The amount of times i listen to this on loop is probably unbelievable! If you want something that is easy listening then this is what you want :tup

10. cornetblower

cornetblower Member

Yes definitely Walking with Heroes. Have been listening to it pretty much constantly over the last month.

11. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

many thanks :)
    as for taste, i listen to all sorts.
    anything from amparita roca (sp?) to harrisons dream etc....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    brass cd collection
    new good cd
    date
    eek
    alli
  13. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Totally agree - brilliant CD.

14. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Russell Gray's 2nd CD of Arban solos is now out and is, I reckon, a must for all Cornet players at least! And not just because I have an arrangement on it! Well worth a listen...

15. bbg

bbg Member

Would certainly "second" "This Land of Ours" by Cory - my wife took the not-so-subtle hint last Christmas and bought me this, and it is superb. The male voice choir are "Cantorion" - read the sleeve notes and you'll find that they are also known as "Only Men Aloud" who came to prominence nationally on the BBC's Saturday night offering "Last Choir Standing". Cory and the choir were on Songs of Praise a month or so back, playing "Benedictus" conducted then as on the disc by Dr Karl Jenkins - sheer musical beauty.

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is he playing Arban's actual cornet again on this recording ?? (... and congrats for getting some airtime for your arrangement).

17. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I don't think it was possible for Russell to get the Arban cornet for this CD, but it does provide an interesting comparison between the two CDs and instruments. There is some more info about this in the sleeve notes by Russell.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've got the first album and enjoy listening to it. I didn't think to ask him (at the Open) whether another was in the pipeline. I will get my paws on it eventually.

19. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

No he's on his Yamaha Xeno this time.

20. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Yes I know of one but it's not out just yet............

in the meantime as it's coming up to Christmas my fav Christmas cd is YBS 'Simple Gifts' some excellent pieces on it.

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- he would make the solos sound good even on a clapper key cornopean if he had to play one!

22. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

OK, so not strictly brass band but . . .Anyone who is serious about brass playing should have something by PJBE in their collection. I'd recommend the 'Greatest Hits' album - you can get it online easily enough. IMO this is a must have album.