Any Metal fans out there ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Red Elvis, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

When I'm not shaking my funky thang to the works of the one and only King ,Mr Elvis Aaron Presley , I am partial to a bit of Heavy metal .
    Have just come back from a great night down the Astoria watching those gods of rock , "Saxon" !! A great night , they played for two and a half hours , a few tracks from their new album "Lionheart" ( which if tonight is anything to go by is good stuff - as soon as I get out of Regent Hall in the morning I'm straight down HMV for it) , plus loads of classics , finishing up with "Crusader" and "Wheels of Steel".
    Am I in a minority , or are there any other fans of classic British guitar-based rock out there ? If so , what are your favourites and which was the best gig you've been to ?
    My best has to be AC/DC at wembley arena a couple of years back , closely followed by Iron Maiden ( with Bruce again) at the same venue in 2002.

To a certain extent we are all Metal fans - we play lumps of the stuff in various shapes and sizes!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    Van Halen
    Right Now
    Brass Band
    Right
  3. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I used to be proper into Iron Maiden - I got all the albums up until Blaze Bailey joined - I lost interest then! Really want to see em now they're a 6 piece with Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith back!

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Bit of a metal fan... was very disappointed with the reading line up this year as there was no metal on "Metal Sunday" but my favourite gig would probably be Metallica at Reading '03

5. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Went to see them in Cardiff last december. Now they've got Bruce back they're a fantastic live band again!

6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Collected all the metalica, guns n' roses, iron maiden, pantera albums over the years and did an arrangement of november rain for brass band by guns n' roses for my higher music!! dont listen to too much now of them now, tho if theres anything comes on radio by them, it gets cranked up FULL! :-D

7. postie

postie Member

Yeah went to see Iron Maiden last December at the Nottingham Arena what a great show!! A week on Tuesday off to see Whitesnake at the Royal Concert Hall with two other Members From BBD. Later in the year seeing Darkness play at the Arena.

Richard Greenwood
    Treasurer & PR Officer
    Bestwood Black Diamonds

8. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Am a fan of metal - Iron Maiden, AC DC, Metallica... but my favourite band is Black Sabbath.

9. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

not especially, altho i'll listen to it.
    my boyfriend is tho...bless him:p

10. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Hmm...The Darkness ...not sure about them yet - they sound great but still not convinced that they aren't taking the p***.

11. rutty

rutty Active Member

(resurrecting an older thread)

I saw Saxon in concert in the early 90s at the Hummingbird (?) in Coventry. They were excellent, and as I was right at the front I even got to shake Biff Byford's hand at the end! I touched him!

My favourite concerts were probably the Monster's of Rock festivals at Castle Donington some time in the 90s. Metallica were there (brilliant), as were Slayer (excellent) and Skid Row (very sweary), AC/DC and Iron Maiden, among many others (not all at the same one obviously). The only poor band I saw there were WASP, and they were rubbish.

Just listening to some Bush at the moment, thought I had System of a Down on a few minutes ago :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    Van Halen
    Right Now
    Brass Band
    Right
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I like old (1970's) Rush. I know they are not British...but still in the commonwealth (Canada)

14. Di

Di Active Member

I'm particularly partial to a bit of gold myself :D

15. rutty

rutty Active Member

I saw them on the Roll the Bones tour back in the 90s too - one of my fave bands :)

16. DublinBass

I saw that show too...that was about half way between their hard rockin days and their more synthesized music of today.

17. rutty

rutty Active Member

Did you get the big inflatable, bouncing rabbits? They were ace! :)

18. DublinBass

:biggrin:

19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Blaze :-?

However... Paul Di'Anno Rocked ass in a different way... More Punk Metal than trad. Heavy Metal...

Absolutely Awesome Now... Best band ive ever seen by a mile...

Last two albums are mind blowing... However, they are now becoming a bit more Heavy rock than metal... however their last 'fresh' single, 'Wildest Dreams' (uk no. 6), did have the old raw speed and drive of classic Maiden tracks such as Be Quick or Be Dead... (One of Blaze's I know... sorry!!)

I can see they are appreciating the phenominal writing talents of Steve Harris in the openings of 'Pashendale' and 'Dance of Death'. Well worth a listen... Even if you're not a Maiden Fan... Incredible...

Went to see them with Steve and Becky (Rita) from your band at the M.E.N. last christmas... Maiden were out of this world...

They're touring Europe now... Not uk unfortunately... :(

Early Years DVD... Buy it... Buy it NOW!!

Anyhoo... up the irons...

:metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

20. rutty

rutty Active Member

Be Quick or be Dead was Bruce:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/i/iron-maiden/67956.html

Plus, compared to the "classic" maiden it's a bit cack. I was listening to Best of the Beast in my car the other day and it's miles behind the likes of Aces High and Number of the Beast et al.

I really should get the latest album - bit of an oversite that.... :)

Up the Irons!

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I like my Heavy metal stuff...Iron Maiden, AC/DC, led Zep, Metallica, Guns n Roses ...liked Motorhead when I was a kid.

Never really liked the stuff like Pantera...bit too extreme for me (liked Extreme tho!). A mate of mine was into Pantera in a big way...he gave me a lift once and the track blasting out in the car was called f****** hostile...erm...nice! :rolleyes: Rage against the machine were quite good too...can't put my finger on what it was about them that I liked tho.

Best concert? AC/DC at the Birmingham NEC during the razors edge tour...WOW!! Angus doing Let there be Rock from the middle of the crowd was awesome. :biggrin:

22. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

My bad... Ive got a recording of Blaze singing it... just presumed it was his...

Its definately not cack... just different...

However there is no better Maiden than the live recording of "Fear of the Dark" taken from "Rock in Rio"...

I am also lucky enough to own a copy of the very rare soundhouse tapes... Being kept in a VERY safe place... I love it because of the rawness (is that a word) in their sound...

Yes... really you should...

Up the Irons :metal: