Any journalists out there??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by twigglet, May 23, 2006.

1. twigglet

twigglet Member

Just finished my degree on Friday and now I'm entered into the wonderful world of unemployed...

Big plans are to be a high flying foreign correspondent, but to start with I need to build up my journalistic portfolio. Shamelessly, I come to the tmpers to see if any of you wonderful people are in the trade and might like to wang a bit of work experience my way?? (see I know all the techno speak, hehehehe)

2. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

have you tried emailing your local newspaper and see if you could go in and do a plcement or something?

I'm first year journo, and huds examiner have given me some workto do!x

3. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Hi Elin. Remember Kate Adie? She was a high flying foreign correspondent. Maybe one day we will see you stood next to a tank in the desert surrounded by gunfire. :) Best of luck Elin, and I'm sure not all foreign correspondents end up doing that.

4. Steve

Steve Active Member

Are you heading back to the epicentre of activity that is Bettisfield Miss Elin? Im sure you could set up a local rag or something! hehe

Congratulations on finishing the degree, see you soon no doubt.

5. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I shall also be signing on the dole a week Friday... unless Schama et al decide to retire and let the rookie in!
    Why oh why did I choose history? Why didn't I choose Nuclear physics or advanced economic theory?.... oh yeah, its cos i'm dumb!

6. twigglet

twigglet Member

Well good news folks, have been accepted onto a foreign correspondent's course in Prague for ten days this summer... work experience and dumplings, what more can a girl want!! Just need to polish my bullet proof vest and I'm off to the war zones.

Still a bit undecided between war and fashion though, every girl's dilemma, may end up doing tarty bits for gossip mags instead, brilliante! Have managed to get a placement sorted at a glossy too now. All very exciting!!!

Thanks for the advice

xxx

7. twigglet

twigglet Member

Have just read the itineray for the Prague course and one day we are lectured on how to cope in war zones......eek!!

8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Excellent news Elin, really pleased for you. Well done!

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Maybe we should think of resurrecting "Banders' Wives";) :D :oops:

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Still, safer than reporting on band contests!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    wonderful people
    high flying foreign correspondent
    trade
    bit of work
    wang
  12. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

That sounds like more of a job for Rutty or Sandman, not Twigglet.
    Well done Elin. The beer in Prague is unspeakably cheap. Or it used to be until the Americans moved in...
    BMB
    xx

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

ROFLMAO.... cracker Andy... cracker... gotta be a contender for post of the year!:clap::clap:

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Absinthe?

15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

- makes the heart grow fonder

16. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

Vogue are doing some young journalist thing as a placement etc. but am not sure when the closing date is...I'll dig the old one out now and then PM/email you with the details if they're still valid!

Congrats on the placements though....i quite fancy getting onto Heat magazine or a similar crappy gossip magazine that i waste my money on week after week!x

17. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Well done! Enjoy Prague! Great place. (PM me if you want any info on it, as I go over there quite a bit.)

18. rutty

rutty Active Member

Well done on finishing your degree :)

While you're looking for the first job why not practice your art on t'internet?

I'm a member of Newsvine and you can either "seed" interesting news there or write your own. I tried adding something in about the Norwegian Entertainments contest but it turned out that no-one else was interested in that ;(

Might be worth a go. It's a great news site anyway, if a little American biased. Need more UK news!