Any ideas for pieces to play with a male voice choir?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tim Pritchard, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tim Pritchard

Tim Pritchard Member

Hi Folks
    We have a concert in March with a male voice choir and would like to do some joint items. Has anyone any suggestions of pieces to play? Something with some substance would be good. The choir are a good standard and we are a first section band.
    Thanks in advance

2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

The P.J.Wilhousky version of Battle Hymn of the Republic. I know it's been arranged for MVC and band, because Northop recorded it in the early 80s with Cor Meibon Brythoniaid. Not sure whether it's published, though.

3. ilovespheres

ilovespheres Member

4. Beesa

Beesa Member

"All in the April Evening" by Sir Hugh Roberton. Made famous by the Glasgow Orpheus Choir all those years ago. There is a decent brass band arrangement that would go down a treat with a male voice choir.

Also, any male voice choir would jump at the chance to sing a hymn accompanied by a brass band, but I'm sure you will have one already lined up.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I've just discovered a recording of this on spotify :D

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

We did a joint concert with Gledholt Male Voice choir a couple of years ago. They sang arrangement of there's that fitted with some of our stuff - Love Changes everything & Teddy Bears Picnic.

8. baridis

baridis Member

You'll Never Walk Alone, the Snell band arrangement adapted by Thom Meredith. Really smashing piece.

9. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

Seems spot on and i have some ideas too.

Also check out some of the Dyke recordings of Armned Man and Missiah, but dont know if music is avaiable

10. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

Handel's Zadok The Priest?

Simon Kerwin has done an arrangement of it and it's true to the original...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi FolksWe
    male voice choir
    March
    section band
    joint items