Any Helpful Music Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rob Folland, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Rob Folland

Rob Folland New Member

My band has been asked to provide the background music for a play written to commemorate the start of first world war. We can find music which is suitable for most the play but we are bit stuck when it comes to one scene. The scene is set in a busy office in a drab, drizzly, industrial town. I wonder if anyone has ideas for a piece we can play or adapt?
  2. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Sounds like a job for Arthur Butterworth! Most of his band music is rather austere, and Edward Gregson once famously described it as 'speaking of the north'. The middle movement of his Three Impressions for Brass Band is actually titled 'Deserted Farm (1840)', but it is fairly bleak stuff, so might just fit the bill. Technically, I don't think it's too demanding and from memory, I think it's quite thinly scored in places. It will fulfil the 'drab drizzly industrial' bit, but possibly not the 'busy' bit!
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  3. David Mann

David Mann Member

You could try "All hands at work" from Peter Yorke's "The Shipbuilders".
  4. Rob Folland

Rob Folland New Member

Thanks for both of these suggestions. I'll look them up and see if they fit the bill.
  5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Yes! It's in a minor key and is definitely 'busy'. Better than my suggestion.