Any good brass bands in Asia?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Mar 20, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

I am from kazakhstan, wich is in Asia, and I have allways wondered if there are any good brass bands there, cause I have only lived in Kazakhstan for about 4 years.

If there are, name one of them or give me a result list(if you find one) of championships or something.

I doubt that there are good brass bands there, but my dad says there are.
  2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Only band I've heard of in Kazakhstan is - Borat and Russkyrik
  3. xRinat

xRinat Member

Borat? is that a band?
  4. steve butler

Think so. Principal cornet is a guy called Ali, can't remember hi surname - begins with G I think.
  5. This has got to be a **** take surely?
  6. xRinat

xRinat Member

So, are these bands any good?
  7. dak

dak New Member

Reminds me of the occassion back in the late 7os prior to the fall of the Iron Curtain,when in my role as Quality Assurance manager for Crispy Crisps, I travelled to district 52 to examine their potato crop. On arrival I was assigned a minder who as luck would have it played 1st bugle horn in the local band, "The Potato Co operitive No 4 band" incidentally the band in the next village was the "Co operitive of Radish and Parsnip Peoples N0 2 Band " and because of the languge, mixer of Russian and Gibberish ,they could not get their full name on their stand banners so used C.R.A.P.P.N02 Band.Not sure if there was a No1, must have been but never saw one.
    Having been invited to a rehearsal in preperation for their next "big blow job" my minder ,Stan, used "The Ladybird Book of Kazastani / English Translation made Easy " and was'nt quite up to speed. Because it was a very hot eveinng the band practiced outside in a clearing in the woods under something which Ray Mears would have been proud of. Instruments, I was proudly told , were U.S. army surplus ex 7th Cavalary ,think they had been misled by some visiting Quarter Master Sergeant called Bilko who took advantage of Stan and his Ladybird book with the phrase LITTLE BIG HORN ,they certainly looked like the only survivors.
    The Conductor who everyone called Uncle Milich had a passing resemblance to each and every member, was a frail man who later assured me he was only a young man still only 83.He had younger twin brothers who played percussion in the band who could have been doopletgangers for Albert Steptoe.The bass section was entirely female? each wore the same floral print dress but in a different colour adorned by a seletion of medals. Apparently they had been part of the 101st womans machine gun battalion during WWll and when defending the town during a German attack, having ran out of ammo, kept the germans at bay by throwing that years entire potato harvest at the attackers.
    The highlight of the practice for me was when Uncle Milich asked the band what they would like to play next " Fkumne" was the consenus of opiinon, Uncle Milich agreed and within a flash the band had run off into the woods. I later learned that "Fkumne" is a local game similar to "Hide and Seek"
    After a period of 30 mins the band started to reappear from the trees , the two old guys on percussion looked rather weak kneed and for some reason I think the Bass players had swapped dresses must be in the rules if you get caught.
    Enjoyed my time in Kazahstan Hope you do like wise Oh if someone appears with a cow and shouts "Zachvnysanst" and shows you their cousins 3rd sister tell them you already have a sheep .It usually works

8. steve butler

DAK :clap:

I bow to a man with far greater knowledge of these ares than I. Your in depth post is much appreciated, respected and admired. I feel happy now to leave xRinats queries in your more than capable hands.

9. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

I have 4 kazakhs in one of my classes.. I'll ask them!
  10. xRinat

xRinat Member

That was very interesting :D
    Thanks for sharing.
    Im glad you liked your trip in kazakhstan :)
  11. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

A very good one. i heard them in concert and their opener, 'Jaksmesh' was very broad and big sounding but then they had a cheesy little concert items called 'High Five' and 'It's Nice' on as well. really enjoyable :p
  12. Steph<3Horn

Steph<3Horn New Member

such knowlege of the place and it's music! "It's nice"!
  13. xRinat

xRinat Member

Wow, lucky you. I want to hear a Kazakhstan brass band so bad :p Next time I visit Kazahstan Im off to see a band!
  14. Squeaker

Squeaker Member

Well when you see the band their, just remember there uniform differs somewhat from ours in the banding homeland! They where Leopard skin body-thongs, except o course for the bass section, who as we know wear floral dresses.
  15. xRinat

xRinat Member

Haha really? I will remember that.
    Next summer Im going to Kazakhstan.
  16. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Not quite Kazakh unfortunately, but Fanfare Ciocarlia were responsible for that cover version of 'Born to be Wild" at the end of Borat. Is nice!
  17. xRinat

xRinat Member

aah, I see.