Any experiences with Ryanair?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by snazzy_cornet_sound, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Im flying with Ryanair next saturday to Spain, what are peoples views of the company and there website?! I have paid for extra baggage but dont really know what I have paid for?! as I'm flying to spain I have to provide Advanced Passanger Information but it never looks like it saves the info?!

Any good/bad experiences?
  2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I flew to Ireland with them once on business (yes I do work for a cheap-skate company!!). They were OK I guess but its a bit hard to judge really - the flight was only about 3/4 of an hour long and, as I was only over there for the day, I didn't have any checked in luggage. It felt more like catching a bus than flying - but this was before 9/11 so I guess its a little different now!

So, not much help form me then :redface: but yes, I have flown with them and I'm still here to tell the tale, so at least they got that part of the job right!
  3. Tubah

Tubah Member

Just back from France with them. Flight ok, watch your luggage weights. I booked 2 cases in and was over with them both. Would have cost £500 extra. Yes thats £500! got it down to £108 by buying another bag at the airport and paying £16 quid to put it in the hold. Was still over but obviously not as bad.

Booked the 3rd one in on the return and with a bit of planned packing and a VERY nice French lady got it back for 20 euro.

All my fault really but its worth knowing. Have a nice break, take a mouthpiece and dont get upset when people on the beach look at you funny when you tell them you play in a brass band! Mind you my reps brother played for Faireys so I got a barbecue for nowt.

Happy Days

Watch out for the instant sunburn:oops:
  4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

be very careful with your extra weight allowance. my sister and her boyfriend thought they'd paid for x amount of extra weight each. when they got to the airport and read the small print this was between them not each and it worked out fairly expensive to pay the excess
  5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Gin in a plastic sachet was a new one on me but the overall experience on a short hop to Sweden was ok. We only had hand bagage though - I did see people at check-in having some discussions on that!
  6. Liamhorn

Liamhorn Member

Flew with them a while ago, the flight was ok better than some!

Didnt have any complaints.
  7. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I've flown with them to Majorca, a 2 and a half hour trip, they wern't amazing but they did the job, I'm still here I suppose!:rolleyes:
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

My previous employer sent me to Italy once by Ryanair, to save a bit of money (I could have flown to Venice just as well) Then at the last minute, they decide to make me take a lot of equipment too. I think I had to pay more for the additional luggae than for my original ticket.

On top of that I had to leave from "Brussels South" airport, which is actually Charleroi airport, but which doesn't have a decent parking area, so i had to carry all that equipment for a long distance through dirt and gravel.

Ryanair may be cheep for going on holiday, but indeed, make sure that you're not above your allowed luggage weight. And for business travelling I now refuse Ryanair unless there really is no other option.
  9. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

Had a few days in Dublin last October flying Ryanair from East Midlands.

Three return flights cost 6p all included. We only took hand luggage and didn't pay extra for checking in online (as it was then - now different!) or priority booking. Neither did we succumb to any of their onboard marketing, so we felt we had a very good bargain.

The flight (very short) had no problems or delays. Cheap and cheerful!

If you are flying to Dublin by Ryanair, be prepared for a very long walk from the aircraft to the arrivals hall, unless they have finished the redevelopment by now.
  10. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

My sister went to Dublin with them last year. On the way back they cancelled the flight,next available flight was the next day. She and her friends needed to be at work the next day so they had to pay to go on the ferry and her lovely friend picked her up at the ferry port about 150 miles away!! No refund on the return flight!
  11. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Flown with Ryan Air about 10 times in the past 3 years - and almost every time I was delayed! Was never a long delay though.

I love the safety instructions laminated to the back of the seat cos they are on such a budget the seats dont have pockets on the back of them!

The are VERY strict on luggage allowance, and if you have a group, online booking is a huge NO because they don't give you enough time to write all the information in! I tried to book in a school group of 24, and the website timed out on every attempt.

Saying that, for the price, can't complain really and they must be doing something right cos I keep using them :)