Any Cubase 4 Studio users here...?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Dec 11, 2006.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Does anyone here use Cubase 4 Studio version?

Reason I ask is because I recently upgraded to this DAW from an OEM version of Cubase supplied with my Yamaha mixing deck. That version was Cubase LE.

Cubase LE only allowed the export of 30 (I think) mixdowns to MP3 format before requiring the purchase of an additional MP3 license which then allowed an unlimited number of MP3 mixdowns to be created. So, a few months ago I purchased this additional license online from Steniberg (owners of Cubase) which was only about £8, and it worked fine and I have been able to export mixdowns to MP3 format easily and readily.

So - and here's my issue. Having acquired a few new synths these last few months (and super ones at that) I needed to also upgrade the DAW I use to sequence on - and so I opted to upgrade to Cubase 4 Studio version. I pay £200 for this upgrade to one of the latest DAW's available, only to find there is no MP3 export/mixdown functionality supplied with this version at all!!!

How ridiculous is this; it is so ridiculous it's absurd.

So - are there any C4 Studio users out there who feel the same? How do you create your MP3's now? What app do you use?

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I need a wince smiley....there are other issues with Cubase 4 as well....not least the lack of DX support...
  3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I know this is totally irrelevant and useless to you, John, but...

We used it at school, and it is the most awkward, fiddly, annoying thing ever! The scores aren't that good and it's just so hard to use! Sibelius is so much nicer...!!! Seriously though, Cuebase is good for people who want to play things and see them written. I just happen to be totally unable to comprehend it! Sibelius is so much easier when it comes to producing scores!
  4. KMJ Recordings

Cubase isn't designed in the slightest for score presentation, though - as John says it's a DAW (which, for those who are unaware stands for Digital Audio Workstation) for recording audio and MIDI....the score functionality is secondary ;)
  5. KMJ Recordings

This is from the Arbiter site:

If this is a standard issue with Cubase 4, then you may just be looking in the wrong place...???
  6. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I like nice scores, and nothing Cuebase can do that Sib can't do better! *cue endless list of things Cuebase CAN do better than Sib*

Ok, for my own purposes, Sibelius is more practical. Others may disagree :tongue:
  7. TheMusicMan

Thanks Keith... so, as I purchased Cubase SL 3 with a free upgrade to Cubase 4 Studio - should I uninstall C4 and install Cubase 3SE?
  8. TheMusicMan

9. KMJ Recordings

They've been crafty I think - because they've put the surround codecs in, that was one of the differentiating features between the Studio and Full Versions (as it was between SL and SX) they've put it in as an upgrade.

I'd just mix to wav then convert the final mix to MP3 with a flavour of MP3 encoder of your choice....
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  10. KMJ Recordings

Possibly is the answer to that ;)

There have been a few people seriously disgruntled by the 'unannounced changes' surrounding the 'upgrade' that'll be hanging fire to see what happens. I know a fair few people who'll be hanging on to SX3.

Edit: Just had a look, Fraunhofer encoding is an 'update' to SL as well......although you may get LAME.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  11. KMJ Recordings

Actually, it can do quite a lot that Sibelius doesn't do and vice versa....but it's an entirely different kind of program, so you'd kind of expect that ;)
  12. TheMusicMan

Hi Flutey

Just to add to what Keith has said here. Cubase is a totally different application to Sibelius, and I mean totally different.

I use Cubase not as a notation editor or as a score producer, but as a Digital Audio Workstation to record audio and MIDI from many sources; 3 synths, drum machines, pianos, soft-synths, mic's, grooveboxes EMX1 and KAOSS Pad II, etc etc. Then I use the built in effects and post recording processing as well as EQ to create a final mix ready for production.

Totally different to Sibelius.;)
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

According to the hype that accompanies C4 ...

- I have had to resurrect my Cubase SX3 to work out how to convert MIDI to audio and had to do it this way ...

Having imported or created my MIDI song/sequence I create an audio track as well. I enable record on that audio track and record the song in real time using the transport. You can tell it's recording as cubase draws a wavefile in the Audio track as it plays. Then, after setting the left/right locators to the beginning/end of the song I then export the audio track (no need to highlight the track) as an audio mixdown. It's then when I get the option to save as mp3, wave or whatever to the folder of my choice. It wouldn't allow me to save as audio any other way!
  14. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

What Yamaha Desk is it? It's not the OX1 is it with the MLAN connections because it is a bit of a nightmare syncing it with software if it is.
  15. TheMusicMan

It is one of these Mat:
  16. TheMusicMan

That's for the C4 version that costs £650, not the C4 Studio version that costs £299...

Ridiculous though yeah?
  17. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

So reading this again, it won't allow you to save as an audio file at all after you have transported the midi into an audio file?
  18. TheMusicMan

No. It will only allow me to create an audio mixdown in other formats such as wav, opg etc, but not MP3.

I can bounce the MIDI to audio no problem using all or any combination of my synths or soft-synths - but I cannot export that to MP3 format.

I would have thought that a DAW costing nearly £300 would have this feature included, AND the fact that I purchased an MP3 license for Cubase LE (a free OEM version included with that Yamaha mixer) which allowed me to export MP3 from that - makes the fact that I apparantly 'upgraded' to their flagship product a total farce yeah?
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Do you record into Cubase as MIDI or audio? (maybe the question is a bit too obvious)
  20. TheMusicMan

I record as MIDI Keith. Then I mixdown to audio.

I have on occasion recorded audio directly in cubase, but only when I am not interested in keeping the file or for composing demo's.

Why you ask?