Any Bikers About?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Thirteen Ball, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Inspired by the 'metal fans' thread I suddenly had a thought.

Any other brassies out there fond of transport on two wheels? (With an engine that is.)

My bikes (A fair condition '98 diversion and a slightly tatty '90 VFR400 that I'm doing up) are my only transport. Not brilliant when you're a BB player but all I can drive at the moment as I haven't a car license!

Any other bikers about?
  2. impycornet

impycornet Member

I have a CBR600fx
  3. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Used to have a 1998 Kawasaki ZX6R, but sold it this time last year, wasnt really out on it much in 2003, and just sat in garage all year! Was quite a good bike, and sounded great with the big exhaust! :cool:

Went to the TT in 2002 and Northwest 200 in 2003, which was brilliant, VOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM! :D
  4. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Travel to work daily on a 2002 Honda Varadero - great fun - appart from the fixed penalty speeding ticket that landed on my doormat the other day. And only three months after my last points came off my licence - bummer!
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Was about to say not likely with me being a Bb Bass player :rolleyes:
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'd love to get my bikers license....

then, I'd sell my drum kit and join a band with some decent gear so all I have to do is turn up with my stick bag and play 8)

One day..........................
  7. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I have a Suzuki GN125 that gets me and my trombone to uni, and is cost effective when my road tax for the year costs only £15! In summer I ride on the back of a Yamaha Tundercat YZF600R which one day in the not to distant future (When I take my test) I hope to own! Well that or a Suzuki GSX-600!
  8. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

If I pull my finger out Im hopefully going to do my bike test this year. I fancy getting a Suzuki Bandit 600 or Honda CBR600. Anyone got any tips for a good commuter?
  9. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Just changed my 600 Bandit for a 600 Fazer.

2002 Bandit with 7000 miles now available to good home - make me an offer ;)

Looking forward to trying the fazer out properly when I've finished running it in.
  10. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Ex-biker, does that count?

Recently sold my Honda Deauville 650 which wasn't getting much use and ploughed the funds right back into a Besson Prestige cornet which is getting a lot more use. Do I regret selling the bike? No way!
  11. NeilW

NeilW Member

I used "giving up a car and getting a bike again" as the excuse to give up playing BB and return to Euph :clap: many years ago at Hanwell (Roneo Alcatel as they were)

Still have got a "resoration case" in my garage, but it doesn't go: a Honda CB500/4 from 1971 ... Maybe I'll get to it when I get a round tuit and have finished my OU degree... (Yes, you CAN carry a Euph on the back of a bike!)

12. JessopSmythe

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  13. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Just booked my CBT and bought a CD-ROM for the Hazard perception and theory tests!!!
  14. Thirteen Ball

Can't go wrong with a bandit. Fun, tough as old boots and loads of mods available, but the insurance is steep as compared. They're eminently nickable as well. Theives love a bandit!

CBR6 is a bit too sharp for a commuter really. A buddy of mine's got one and he says first gear's just too long for round town work so it cooks up the clutch. Fabulous on the open road though.

Fazer, CB500, Diversion, GPZ500, ER5, GS500 probably in that order. (Passed my test on an ER5!) The 500s are all parralell twins so a bit lumpy, but completely unfancied by theives, easy on the juice and the insurence. Just don't get one that's been owned by a riding school! It'll be dropped a million times and the clutch will be shredded.

If you can afford a fazer or a bandit, they're both great. A divvie's not as exciting, but cheaper, comfier, and about as tough. Check the rear monoshock though cos they do go uber-soggy after about 16000 miles!

If you want really cheap, grab a yamaha DT125. You can pick them up for a pittance, the insurance is naff all, a year's road tax is fifteen quid, they're easy to maintain, and tremendous fun! But not very quick - which does keep the licence clean!

Hope that helps!
  15. JessopSmythe

Bandit and Fazer are both good bikes but, if you're going to be racking up the miles it's worth remembering that Suzuki service intervals are usually 3500 miles while Yamaha are 6000. Against that, the Bandit is cheaper to insure than the Fazer.

Just got rid of my Bandit and got a Fazer. Insurance has gone up by £100 but I'll save at least that in servicing costs. Fazers quicker too :p
  16. Thirteen Ball

That's eminently forgiveable.

The cornet's probably faster than the deauville anyway..... ;)
  17. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Not in the middle section of 'Tam' it ain't ! Or is it my aged fingers :)

Seriously - people knock the D'Oh, but it's the top-selling Honda tourer in the UK and I was amazed at how well it kept its value. I enjoyed my time with it, but once I realised I wanted a new instrument more than I wanted to ride the bike it just had to go :)

No regrets.
  18. Thirteen Ball

I was just kiddin! Steady bike is a deauville. Practical, bulletproof engine, comfy and easy to ride. My mate's dat's got one and he swears by it. Shaftie as well aren't they?

Whoever it was asked about commuters, you could do worse than a deauville. Alright, not as much fun as the rest, but has it's plusses!

Oh and as for fingers not being fast? I'm a BB player. Nuff said! with valves as clunky as ours there's kind of a speed limit on things!!!
  19. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Has anyone got any pics of their BIKES that they can share with is :)

I'd be interested to see some :)
  20. JessopSmythe

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005