Any BA Staff. I hope you get sacked.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Rapier, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Yep. You are the highest paid airline in your profession, but still you want more. There's a recession, BA are struggling to stay in business but you are going to strike. I hope you all get laid off.

And yes I was due to fly to the USA for the first family Christmas together for 10 years. Not only do I hope you get laid off, I hope you all get swine flu over the Christmas period, so your Christmas is ruined too!
  2. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I haven't had a pay rise for 2 years either had a cut also, if I don't like it I know where the door is, but there is a recession going on and I work in the construction industry. I hope they all get sacked also and see what living off unemployment benefit like other redundant workers during the recession feel.
  4. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

As far as I can tell it is the lack of consultation that has prompted the strike as is often the case. I do not like the notion of strike action as it can be seen to be holding the company to ransome - but I also do not approve of big companies making illegal changes to contracts without proper consultation.

Is it not true that unemployment will add to the problems of the recession too?
  5. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

I'm just saying, it's not fair what BA are doing so the workers have my full support for deciding to do something about it!! Recession isn't an excuse to illegally change contracts and exploit workers!
  6. StellaJohnson

I agree with you to a certain extent, but to me it sounds they are delibratly disrupting its passangers to the run up to Christmas when its at its most busiest, when to me stinks.
  7. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Umm .... not MUCH point doing it when no one would notice ;)
  8. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

From The Times Online, June 2009 "Data from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) shows for the first time how much higher BA’s wage costs are than its rivals. The average salary for BA’s 14,000 cabin crew, including bonuses and allowances, is £29,900, compared with £14,400 at Virgin Atlantic and £20,200 at easyJet. BA’s pilots earn an average of £107,600, compared with £89,500 at Virgin and £71,400 at easyJet."

From BBC News - 'Len McCluskey, assistant general secretary of the Unite union, said: "It goes without saying that we have taken this decision to disrupt passengers and customers over the Christmas period with a heavy heart."'

Crocodile tears, indeed!!!
  9. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I agree. It's a terrible time of the year to do this (although i do agree with their right to strike!) and very calculated for maximum impact. Joe public will have no empathy with these people and will instead fly with other airlines in future. Their jobs will simply cease to exist. The union have advised them badly imho.
  10. killer

killer Member

well actually I was consulted last week and told i wasnt getting a pay award, i was soooo happy about the consultation process that i clean forgot that i hadnt had a pay rise in two years:rolleyes:
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Be interesting if BA started hiring from these other airlines to replace striking workers. Then anybody who worked for BA would have to decide between continuing on, or working for much less at another airline.
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

BA would also be in breach of any number of employment laws, but that's beside the point! ;)

I can't believe people who earn over £100k are arguing about payrises in the current climate. I got a two-year pay-freeze in Alistair Darling's pre-budget report the other day, because I work for the council. Typical, you sign up to work for a benefits service to try and help people back onto their feet and you're the first one the government kicks. And then the poor folk who are out of work are next in line...

I doubt Alistair Darlin's assertion to cap "All public sector pay" at 1% will really make any difference though - because those who earn the highest simply create themselves or their friends a job on a higher payscale with an increased salary. Despite the recession, I've seen three people senior to me receive four figure payrises (and the first number wasn't a 1 either) for taking on no extra responsibility simply because a new post has been created in such a way that it's ring-fenced to them. It's the same in the civil service, the same in private utility, the same in government! Even the bankers are doing the same thing now. Building bonuses into their contracts so that the government's windfall taxes can't affect them.

Mean time, those who the bankers lunacy has made unemployed have just passed their six-month contributions based Jobseekers period, so now get nothing from the state and are seriously wondering where their next meal will come from.

Let's look at it another way. Say I'm an unskilled worker and I earn £12,000 P.A. A 1% payrise is £120 a year, or about £10 a month - which will be completely swallowed up by the VAT move back to 17.5% and the 0.5% National insurance hike. In real terms, it's a pay-cut.

Now say you're a senior manager earning £48,000 (There are several of these - and much higher wages in the council I work for.) 1% then becomes £480 a year, or £40 a month. That still doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a real-terms increase, for someone who needs the money far less.

This country has it's priorities firmly the wrong way round. And why? Because it's run by the rich.
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Whilst I wouldn't go so far as to suggest they should be sacked, I don't think anyone should be surprised to be asked to have their pay frozen. We have had no pay rise this year, and have just found out that one job is going completely from January (out of an 11-man team), plus a cut in hours for evenings and weekends, which will reduce available overtime by a third.

We can still count ourselves lucky, when you realise that all the companies in the building have shed staff in the past few months, one firm of solicitors losing a third of their staff :(
  14. barrytone

barrytone Member

My sister has been told that her payrise due from August this year will not be happening, she has four step children and a disabled partner to support, how do you tell the kids that due to the recession Santa couldn't bring them presents? Thankfully she was careful not to rely on her payrise to pay for Christmas or it could have been pretty bleak. She would love to earn the same as the cabin crew at BA, she works in the security industry and to my mind is in far more danger on a daily basis than they are but gets paid a lot, lot less.
  15. StellaJohnson

IMO no one has a right to strike. If my company are breaching my conctract or changing without my consent, then I seek legal advice like the majority of people in the private sector, not a trade union.
  16. still learnin

still learnin Member

It's tough having pay cut, it's tough not having a rise, it's tough having to work longer hours for the same income but it's tougher being out of work because your employer went out of business because outgoings exceeded income. Everybody wants to earn more nobody wants to pay more. No matter how much someone earns they can always justify why they should have a bit more (without doing more for it).

I don't fly BA anymore because it's too expensive, to get my business back they will have to cut costs and reduce their prices, that hurts but it has to happen if they are to survive.

My company works with central and local government, our business is being squeezed because of spending cuts that means that pay will have to be frozen or jobs cut. It's hard but there is no other way. We can't have our cake and eat it which is what most strikes seem to be about! Yes contracts may have to be changed but if they're not it'll be a P45 instead. I know which I'd rather have!
  17. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I think the union are being disingenuous about their reasons for striking over Christmas too...yesterday there was a spokesman from the union on FiveLive who was reporting that they HAD to take strike action within 28 days of putting the motion to a vote....fair does...but today several BA staff have said that they WEREN'T informed that the strike would a) be over Christmas/New Year, and b) would be 12 days long.

Whether it would've changed their minds about voting to strike...we'll never know...but surely if you're asked to vote on something you should be given the full truth about the matter?

Also, I wouldn't like a 2 year pay freeze and a pay cut...but equally I wouldn't like to be unemployed and living on Jobseekers allowance because my company has gone bust.

AND - this strike mainly involves Heathrow workers...Gatwick workers have working to the new pay and conditions for 2 years (I think I got that right, was on BBC news this morning) already - so basically Heathrow workers are earning more at the expense of other BA staff....they need to get real and accept that what they are asking for could potentially bankrupt the company, as well as the MASSIVE disruption their industrial action will cause to thousands of people.
  18. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Alas, your opinion is of little value. People do have the right to withdraw their labour, subject to certain conditions being met, and this right is enshrined in English law.

To which I can only say, you must have very deep pockets! Recourse to the law on a personal basis can be a very costly affair indeed - even if you ultimately win your case.

I think I would also dispute your contention that 'the majority of people' follow this course. I would have said that the majority of people, faced with a dispute with their employer, would either consult their union or, where that option is not available, go through a formal dispute procedure instigated by the employer itself. I can't supply hard evidence for this statement, but neither have I noticed the civil courts awash with personal legal actions of this nature.
  19. StellaJohnson

Thats my opinion people shouldn't have the right to strike i know they are legally allowed to do, in my opinion if they don't like there work conditions then leave, don't disrupt other peoples lives. They get little sympothy from me. Thats my opinion. But to say my opinion has little value is a little un called for.
  20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm absolutely not a unionist and I don't necessarily agree with BA staff's actions, but you've obviously never been in the situation where management has tried to bully its workforce to submission to have that opinion, Stella.

Its a fundamental feature of UK employment law - almost as important as being innocent until proven guilty in general law.