Antipodean 4BR

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BigHorn, Jun 13, 2005.

1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Sorry if this subjects cropped up before but....

What are peoples views on 4barsrest's fixation on all things Antipodean (that means from Australia and New Zealand to the unenlightened ;) )

Personally I hate it and think it detracts from an excellent site. Don't want to appear racist or anything but to be honest what's happenning 12,000 miles away has no real interest to me.

At the time of writing the top 6 out of ten news stories on 4BR are antipodean - and of the 4 others one is about the rankings (full of aussie bands) and another is about YBS's forthcoming Australian tour :mad:

On to of all this the Aussie cricket team are over here to teach us a lesson in how to play cricket. :eek:

What do others think - does it enhance the site or detract from it.

(I think they do a brilliant job by the way, just think that some regional seperation may be necessary)

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

It's great to see another side of banding, maybe 50/50 with the news stories, or www.4barsrest.au? :D:clap:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  3. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

hello friends, antipodean and from the motherland!

i myself haven't clicked onto the australian banding scene part of the website, but it looks as if its very similar to the english side. as a point of interest, and searching for a reason for its existence, have all the difficult words and references to culture been omitted on this part?

regards

uncle eric

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Can't see a problem. I've had my own personal gripes against an aspect or two of 4br's output but if things are happening elsewhere in the banding world (after all, it's relatively quiet on the contest front in the UK at this time of year) then why not?

I also said in my 4br criticisms that in general they HAVE been good for banding, and covering aspects of all the banding countries and the news therein is a big plus point in my opinion. It is, remember a 'world wide' web. It isn't just UK banders reading it. There are plenty of players from other banding countries contributing to this site too and long may it continue!

Brass bands do exist elsewhere, you know....

;)

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm all in favour of the growth in news from Down Under - and from the continent as well. People are quick to complain if they concentrate just on the top few bands over here, and then grumble when they try to branch out a little.

I don't know much about their news-gathering process for the antipodes, but it presumably depends on people sending news in, just as it largely does over here. As for the concentration of stories at one time it is understandable when there is a competition weekend under way.

If you want to keep things balanced, then make sure your own news items get sent in regularly!

I also quite often dip into the Downunder comments pages, which makes for interesting reading, although it seems as if Okiedokie of Oz is spending more time there than he is here at the moment :mad:

6. Steve

Steve Active Member

I think its fantastic that they bring us news from all over the world (not just down under!!!!!!), if you dont want to read it then just click the news items from the UK and if there isnt enough of them for your liking then log on less regularly. I am sure they are publishing all the news items they are sent from the UK bands, I guess there is just more going on elsewhere than in this country.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

^agreed... I think its great.... these countries are interested in the UK, so why shouldn't we be interested in them?... if you dont like it, dont read it.. simple as.

8. postie

postie Member

Yeah I haven't got a problem generally speaking with 4 bars covering the banding scene down under. I wondered whether they are going to start providing more coverage of the bands in mainline Europe as well just an idea.

9. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Oh, no will we have to go underground in the Kiwi Brass Band closet?!

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I agree with most of the above. Its good to have another viewpoint. It may just seem overwhelming because the antipods (is that a word) are having a good deal of big contests now while there is not much going on in the UK.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Antipodean 4BR
    Antipodean
    Australia
    4BR
    New Zealand
  12. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'll resist the sheep gag temptation here.... (bearing in mind there are loads of them here in Arran.... oops! :))

13. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

I think it's great to have a website with a world perspective. Anyway if you don't want to read about the ozzies on 4BR, you can select just to see news from the UK.

We've had a guy from oz sitting in with our band since February. He found us via the internet and got in touch well before his visit. And we even managed to sign him in time for the areas! He was so made up to find a great band to play with - musically and otherwise (yeah ok maybe I'm biased, BUT IT'S TRUE!!!) - and even more thrilled to be able to tell his pals back home about winning the area contest with us on 3rd cornet. We even presented him with a souvenir 'international superstar' band banner to take home with him!

In the back of my mind is this vague dream about a band trip to oz... who knows... getting to Harrogate will be a big enough adventure for us this year!

Yep I'm in favour of the www being open to all. Besides, you wouldn't want to sensor the likes of BBCbari and co from taking part in tMP now would you! (No really...)

:)

14. buglegirl

buglegirl New Member

You will be saying soon that there should only be stories on people with blonde hair and blue eyes.
    Dont like it=Dont read it
    Better still...set up your own site that bans all ip's located anywhere but the UK.

15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Given tMP's natural home, I strongly suggest you do Mr Payn... I strongly suggest you do...;);):biggrin:

PS: How's you and how's Arran?

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

To answer those two questions in order: not bad and wet!

Struggling still on the work front. The two jobs I've had haven't worked out ('Hello Jobcentre. It's me again') but the publishing business will be up soon-ish.

As for Arran, it's just beautiful as ever, even when it's raining. Some pictures will be appearing on the tMP Gallery as soon as I can get this sodding computer to work consistently! ;)

Cheers, John ;)

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I was invigilatiing an internal geography exam today and hey had a map of Arran as part of the questions...all I could think of was you, Dave!

18. Carina

Carina Member

I congratulate 4barsrest for their excellent website. I really enjoy reading the news from other bands throughout the world. It's also really nice to be included. Yes, we might be many miles away here in NZ, but our brass band (and concert band) movement is really strong. There are heaps of bands, lots of concerts, competitions and tours happening all the time. I'm sorry if you don't want to know what we're up to :) - you're most welcome to stay on the UK/rest-of-the-world-minus-Aust-and-NZ part of the site!

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

They had a map of Arran in their internals? Oo-er!

:) :)

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In keeping with the thread title, maybe they should let it go outback :oops:

21. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Come on down and visit us - you may find out what all the fuss is about.;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Antipodean 4BR
    Antipodean
    Australia
    4BR
    New Zealand