Another top 3 thread - Original Concert Works

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, Mar 25, 2007.

1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

As a follow on from the recent threads on the top 3 arrangements, top 5 Serious original works and also as an addition to the Listen to the Band - Should it stay or should it go thread...which contains reference to the dumbing down of repertoire, what are people's top 3 original concert works (so the 3 to 5 minute pieces written specifically for Brass Bands)?

It'd be nice to stay away from things like Marches - there are threads on them already - I guess I'm looking for suggestions that may encourage people to seek out and programme different and exciting things....

To get the ball rolling, my current favourites (they change frequently!) in no particular order are:

1) Chanson Trevaux (John Golland) - although this is based on a traditional Swiss tune, I'm not counting it as an arrangment. It's a great example of how a simple tune can make my spine tingle from IMO a neglected composer.

2) Blenheim Flourishes (James Curnow) - I just liked playng it.

3) Hymn for Africa (Peter Meechan) - Written for the Brass Band Aid project, it's incredibly simple (in the nicest possible way!) but very emotive.

Mind, I've just commisioned a new sop solo off Pete, so he may knock himself out of the number three spot ;)

Come on then, what do you guys think we should be playing.....two out of three of my suggestions are old...what am I missing out on?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I always find it difficult coming up with lists of favourites, as I always think of something else as soon as I've finished. I would like to suggest three of my favourites, though, as it happens all from the SA repertoire, two of which i've greatly enjoyed playing over the years:

1) Ray Steadman-Allen: The Lord is King

2) Dean Goffin: Symphony of Thanksgiving

3) Morley Calvert: Canadian Folk-Song Suite
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Yep - you're right about favoriites lists really, Peter.

Perhaps we could just treat it as a thread to flag original concert pieces that people haven't heard of / forgotten about?

I'm feeling lonely anyway - I seem to be a thread killer at the minute :D