Another football quiz

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

This is my summer football quiz. Summer? It refers to the questions. 'Summer' easy, 'summer' hard......

Anyway. 18 points up for grabs. Please pm answers to me only. Deadline 2pm tomorrow.

Good luck!

1. Name the Russian player involved in a positive drugs test leading to Wales appealing for their recent Euro 2004 play off first leg match against them to be overturned. (1 point)

2. Who scored Arsenal's 4th goal in their recent 4-1 league win over Middlesbrough? (1 point)

3. Who are the reigning Africa Cup of Nations champions? (1 point)

4. Name the Leicester fan 'shepherded off' by goalkeeper Ian Walker last Saturday (1 point)

5. Which Spanish side were the first to reach three consecutive UEFA Cup Finals? (1 point)

6. Which member of Spurs' double winning side of 1960-61 went on to manage a Championship winning team? (1 point)

7. Which club once had Venison and Fox in the same squad? (1 point)

8. Who was the first Croatian international to play in the English League? (1 point)

9. Who scored England's only goal in Euro 92? (1 point)

10. With which club did Wolves midfielder Paul Ince make his league debut? (1 point)

11. A swine to finish with. Listed below are 8 FA Cup final years and the winners on each occasion. Name the losing side in each case.(8 points)
    [a] Liverpool 1974
    Spurs 1961
    [c] Derby County 1946
    [d] Nottm Forest 1959
    [e] Liverpool 1965
    [f] Chelsea 2000
    [g] Spurs 1981
    [h] Arsenal 1979

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    football quiz
    answers
    Ian Walker
    Paul Ince
    drugs test
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Chunky 17
    Dyl/Yorkie 16

Q2. I meant 'FA Cup tie' (not league game. Arsenal and Middlesbro have been playing each other too much!) David Bentley was the right answer for the cup tie. The recent league game (also 4-1 to Arsenal ended with a goal by Fredrik Ljungberg! Bentley got you a point, though!

1. Name the Russian player involved in a positive drugs test leading to Wales appealing for their recent Euro 2004 play off first leg match against them to be overturned. (1 point)

Yegor Titov (Sounds like an unsuccessful female matador...)

2. Who scored Arsenal's 4th goal in their recent 4-1 (edit) FA Cup tie over Middlesbrough? (1 point)

David Bentley

3. Who are the reigning Africa Cup of Nations champions? (1 point)

Cameroon

4. Name the Leicester fan 'shepherded off' by goalkeeper Ian Walker last Saturday (1 point)

Andrew Price

5. Which Spanish side were the first to reach three consecutive UEFA Cup Finals? (1 point)

Valencia, when the tournament was known as the Fairs Cup

6. Which member of Spurs' double winning side of 1960-61 went on to manage a Championship winning team? (1 point)

Dave Mackay (at Derby County)

7. Which club once had Venison and Fox in the same squad? (1 point)

Newcastle

8. Who was the first Croatian international to play in the English League? (1 point)

Igor Stimac

9. Who scored England's only goal in Euro 92? (1 point)

David Platt

10. With which club did Wolves midfielder Paul Ince make his league debut? (1 point)

West Ham

11. A swine to finish with. Listed below are 8 FA Cup final years and the winners on each occasion. Name the losing side in each case.(8 points)
    [a] Liverpool 1974 Newcastle
    Spurs 1961 Leicester
    [c] Derby County 1946 Charlton
    [d] Nottm Forest 1959 Luton
    [e] Liverpool 1965 Leeds
    [f] Chelsea 2000 Aston Villa
    [g] Spurs 1981 Man City (and what a game yesterday!)
    [h] Arsenal 1979 Man Utd

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Not if you're a Spurs fan though Dave. My mate was almost in tears when I rang him to congratulate him on a team that collapsed quicker than an Italian player who has been looked at. :twisted: :twisted:

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Funny if you're an Arsenal fan like me, though :twisted:

6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

And there was me thinkign you couldn't sink any lower Dave.
    Still haven't forgotten, or forgiven, your lot for causing a riot back in '89 and depriving us of the title and money :twisted:

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I always wondered what Liverpool fans thought when they eventually purchased Michael Thomas. Seemed a bizarre move!

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Not a Liverpool fan Dave. Try again

9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Easy mistake to make. After all, Arsenal went to Anfield to nick the title from Liverpool in 1989. You'll have to remind me! :oops:

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I feel my esteemed friend is referring to the Battle of Highbury when Norwich were 3 - 0 up as I remember then Arsenal proceeded to influence the referee in several decisions including one of the most ridiculous penalties ever given, which prompted the riot! All players from both sides were involved including the Arsenal keeper who ran the length of the pitch to get involved! Arsenal won the game 4-3! Strangely Norwich were fined £ 50k and Arsenal only £ 20k!

Would I be right Kev?

Arsene Wenger, watching on TV, of course didnt see the incident!

11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Too right Mr Chunky sir :evil: :evil: :evil:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    football quiz
    answers
    Ian Walker
    Paul Ince
    drugs test
  13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I remember now! Arsenal got away with it that day, sure, but that incident was instrumental in Arsenal getting docked 2 points in the Battle of Old Trafford a couple of seasons later. Man U only got one point docked despite the fact the initial 'kicking' was started by a Man U player.

Still didn't stop us winning the title, though! Ha!

Why does everyone thing Wenger started this selective 'myopia'? I'm not saying he's not guilty of it, but I reckon he learned his trade from the master Ferguson and more recently, Premiership on ITV pundits/commentators who excuse the vast majority of wrongdoings, penalties given, free kicks given to Man U etc. etc. I don't hate them as a team, but their 'sycophants' in the media

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Allegedly, it came about shortly after Arsene Wenger arrived in England. Whilst on a scouting mission at Anfield he parked his car in the official car but managed to prang on of the Liverpool players car when leaving. He though nobody had seen it so left hastily for his drive back down South.

The player concerned reported it to the police and Arsene Wenger was interviewed. He admitted the prang but couldnt understand the fuss as he didn't see the Paul Incey dent!
    :!:

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Ho ho!

Spurs have sacked Pleat and brough in David Blunkett. They need someone who can hold on to a lead.....