Another Football Poll

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Magic Flute, May 30, 2005.

How will the Owls fare next season?

1. Promotion to Premier League

0 vote(s)
  2. Mid-table

3. Relegation to 1st Division

1. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

In celebration of the Owls' promotion to the Championship yesterday, here's a new poll on behalf of all the other Owls supporters out there!
    Will we return to the Premiership, finish mid-table, or head straight back to 1st division?...
  2. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I think will probably finish 16th. Unfortunately, we won't have enough cash to buy decent players to get us near the play-offs so we'll just have to wait patiently for a bit
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not an Owls supporter, I should add, but it's always going to be a difficult one to call. Blimey, it was only 12 years ago they were challenging Arsenal in the Coca-Cola (as it was) and FA Cup finals! There isn't a football team I genuinely hate (not even Spurs) but I would like to see the Owls back at the top level. Whether that will happen soon I don't know. In the lower leagues, sometimes a promoted team can hit the ground running and get a good start at least the following season. I would hazard a guess at mid table respectability. I'm not a bad predictor. I said after the qualifying stages (honestly! Not on here, but I did say it!) that I fancied Liverpool to win the CL as they always seemed to reserve their best performances for that tournament and treated the Premiership as a bit of an afterthought.
  4. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

I am glad to see the Owls back in the Championship as I have always enjoyed my visits to Hillsborough. The exception being the FA Cup Semi-Final in 1992 when Sunderland beat Norwich.

I remember going there in 1981 on the last day of the season when despite losing to Wednesday, Norwich were still promoted!

They always bring fantastic away support to Carrow Road too so the atmosphere with them is always good.

Would love to see them in the play-offs (not at our expense of course :wink: ) but think mid table should be within their reach.

ps: Would love to know what Owls fans think of Paul Gallagher as we have yet to see him play for Norwich!
  5. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I vaguely remember Wednesday thashing Norwich at Hillsborough the last time that Norwich got relegated from the Premiership whenever that was! ;)
  6. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Agreed... 16th until you can build...
  7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Thanks for that Stephen! I remember it too, 5-0 I think it was in 1995. How times have changed :wink:

IYOUNG Member

Yep good to see the Owls back moving in the right direction, some great memories of Hillsborough over the years.

Mid table will be fine in your first year back and take it from there.

You have a fine manager who was treated scandalously at Soton (not how well they did without him)

9. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Was talking to the Wednesday fan down the hall yesterday, and he said he doesn't care where they finish as long as they spank united home and away...
  10. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Unless they strengthen their squad, relegation looms.
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I think they have a good enough squad to consolidate for a year or two before pushing on.

They're a Yorkshire club and not called Leeds or Bradford so I was cheering for 'em.

Well done the Owls, and good luck for next season. :clap:
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Plus the fact if they do go up you can always rip the badge off of your Huddersfield shirt and stick an Owl on it eh Crawf ;)
  13. 2nd man down

Wash your mouth out!!!

I'll pretend I didn't hear that!!
  14. leeds united fan here!

before the warnock era, i preferred sheff. utd but since that pillock took over and i rate sturrock as a good mid division manager, i'd like to see sheff. wed. beat them in the sheffy derby's

as for the owls's position hopes, it will be a relegation battle but i feel that the poor teams from this seasons championship will go down and the owls will stay up, they may even push 4 the bottom half of the mid-table, hope thats a fair prediction for you lot and im sure u'll love to return to elland road for a friendly battering by kb's lads ;) :) :D
  15. 2nd man down

What's wrong with Neil Warnock?? He inspires teams to over achieve and cares passionately about the fans.
  16. he can't be all that good, your lot sacked him once didnt ya?, or he left for some other club or what ever, its his attitude, its arrogant and biased towards himself, and this is his favourite quote

"i dont like to comment about referees but he was absolutely S**T today!"
  17. 2nd man down

He's gained promotion through the playoffs 5 times with four different clubs (including us) and he left us to go to Plymouth, where he got them promoted too. He gives the press daft quotes like that cos they annoy him, but as a manager I rate him very highly indeed...he gets ordinary players playing well above themselves.
  18. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I think Wednesday will struggle. I think Maclean flatters to decieve. How many of his goals this season were penalties?? A fair few. I saw him at Scunthorpe a couple of seasons back and he didn't look too sharp then (in the 3rd Div). He's certainly not Championship quality.

Hopefully they'll stay up.
  19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

AND..... an anagram of his name is Colin W***er. So there!
  20. the luck that certain teams get annoys me to death and yet they get away with it and they get called superb, amazin, brilliant, etc, its a load of total bulls**t.

he should just take it on the chin and get on with the job in hand, insted of puttin refs down all the time, leeds had some ****** awful refs this season but kb's kept quiet about them, apart from on an odd occasion when keepin quiet just wasnt an option.

1 of the best mid division managers i think at the moment is paul sturrock, he got plymouth promoted, and now he's got the owls promoted, he's a proven coach at this level, warnock is just a big mouth, like the championships mourinho, diffence is tho is that mourinho has put a group of very good individual players playin well as a team and a unit, i dont like mourinho much but i rate his managerial skills, 1st porto and now chelsea.

all this does prove the obvious tho, a club with cash and the right men in the right places, success is almost guarenteed.