another contest venue dies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BIG Paul, Jan 23, 2008.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Another venue for Brass band contests is closing it's doors at the end of March, just one day after the Tameside open, Tameside Hippodrome is to close. Tameside council say it will be refurbished, and hopefully it will be, however many local people believe that this will be the end of the Hippodrome, why not sign the online petition and try to save the venue.

Hopefully knowing Tamesides support for Brass Banding they will take notice and re-open in a short time.
  2. marchris6047

marchris6047 Member

'' Tameside an Excellent Council'' Erm yeh, It Really seems like it when they do things like this!! :mad:

I always thought Councils were supposed to work for the people and betterment of there area?
    Maybe I'm wrong....:confused:

Hopefully they will referb it and it will come back bigger and better
  3. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Tameside is a great Council for brass-banding!!

How many other councils have a national brass band contest with the profile that Tameside Open has? And good on them and Frank Hodges and his team for bringing back the British Open Solo Champs

If that were my council they would have closed it down day before the contest!
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Is there any firm evidence that they (the council) plan to keep it closed permanently? Because if it is genuinely just being closed for a refurb, then frankly it's not before time. Don't get me wrong, Tameside Contest is great, but the Hippodrome really needs work doing on it and if that is the council's intention then they are to be applauded, not castigated.
  5. Bungle

Bungle Member

My only concern would be that after refurbishment it costs more to hire, this happened to the Dome in Brighton which used to hold the SCABA contest. And before someone says the council own the building, sometimes a council get another company to run the theatre for them, like the Lees Cliff hall in Folkestone and even the council don't get it free.
  6. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

apparently (not seen the evidance myself but from an inside source) a big local building company already have building plans for flats for there.